Pony bottle skills

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you've got a pony, do you have an SPG on it that you can check underwater, and can you manipulate the valve on the first stage underwater? The pony won't do you any good if all the air has leaked out and you haven't noticed, or if you jumped in with the valve turned off.

Although I would never recommend a pony as doubles are a much better option, I would suggest that you consider slinging it instead of a hard mount on your back. Aside from the obvious entanglement hazard, slinging a pony would allow you to hand it off to an OOA diver. Also, you would be able to see if it was leaking. Being in an OOA situation would be scary enough without finding out your pony is empty when you need it.

michaelp68:
The primary reason for me to consider the pony is that it's my understanding that it's required by some, not all, dive operators for some of the deeper dives, within rec limits, in the northeast. While I may be wrong, this is my understanding.

I was told that I need one for one of the dives around here that I'd like to do this summer, and I was on a dive boat off of New Jersey last summer where they'll only let the divers below a certain depth if they have doubles or a pony. I can't remember what that depth was, but my memory tells me it was around 80 feet. Maybe that's good safety and prudence, or maybe it's a way to make extra money by renting ponies.

(As a side note, it didn't matter that day, anyway, because the dives were only in the 50-60 foot range. Never mind that the anchor came loose and I surfaced to no boat because of it....)

My thought has been to mount the pony to a bracket on my tank.

All of my diving has been, and my future dives plans at this point in time remain, to stay within rec limits. So, I'm not planning on the pony for expected deco purposes, or any other planned needs.

I'm thinking about having the pony because it might be required if I want to do certain dives, and because it would be nice to have the extra gas for unplanned needs. My dive plans do not require the extra air. It's for something unplanned. My thinking was that I should not be in a situation where the extra gas is necessary. But it would be even worse to be in that situation and not have the extra gas.

UP, I had ruled out a larger tank for 2 main reasons: 1) a bigger tank still means no pony which might result in a problem if doubles or a pony are required by a dive operator; and 2) the negotiation psychology with my wife of buying a "small extra bottle of air for emergencies" versus buying a new big steel tank....

Thank you, everyone, for the thoughts so far, and please keep them coming. I appreciate it.

Michael

I think you're right on the money with the right reasons for using a pony. The only time you should ever use your pony is when your primary system fails and you need air to get to the surface safely. (Meaning, use it only in case of emergency, never as extra gas to extend bottom time or such). Some charter operators require a pony if not diving doubles in this area for certain sites. I once did the U853 on a charter and they had the same requirement.

--Matt

matt_unique:
I think you're right on the money with the right reasons for using a pony. The only time you should ever use your pony is when your primary system fails and you need air to get to the surface safely. (Meaning, use it only in case of emergency, never as extra gas to extend bottom time or such). Some charter operators require a pony if not diving doubles in this area for certain sites. I once did the U853 on a charter and they had the same requirement.

--Matt

Actually, the U853 is one of the dives I'm interested in for this summer.

Michael

I would also recommend slinging it for the same reasons as MaxBottomtime. If you are going to go that route, then pony up to a 40cf tank. You can use it later on for a deco bottle, so you won't be throwing money away on new gear. Lamont is accurate about the spg.

OE2X:
I would also recommend slinging it for the same reasons as MaxBottomtime. If you are going to go that route, then pony up to a 40cf tank. You can use it later on for a deco bottle, so you won't be throwing money away on new gear. Lamont is accurate about the spg.

Definitely and SPG on the tank. A 30 is also handy for deco purposes.

I'm sure you've done lot's of reading on the U853. It is one of my favorite dive sites. The condition has changed quite a bit over the last few years I have been diving her. It is still an amazing site to see with your own eyes.

--Matt

michaelp68:
I was told that I need one for one of the dives around here that I'd like to do this summer, and I was on a dive boat off of New Jersey last summer where they'll only let the divers below a certain depth if they have doubles or a pony. I can't remember what that depth was, but my memory tells me it was around 80 feet. Maybe that's good safety and prudence, or maybe it's a way to make extra money by renting ponies.

Seems a little that you're letting a dive boat's arbitrary rules dictate your style, which to me would be a no-no.

Even a bad buddy is a buddy. The only thing they could do that would terminate your dive would be to disappear, and so be it. If and when you find yourself alone, terminate the dive.

I realize that this may not be an ideal solution either, just want you to consider the other side of the deal.

Why do think a pony is necessary anyway? Even if you blow an o-ring or something at 80 feet, you'll still have time to get to the surface. What are 'unplanned needs'?

Just plan your needs and life could be a LOT simpler.

I'm not familiar with those wrecks but my bet is that I'd just opt for doubles.

I'm kind of partial to an h-valve on a single tank. It gives a little redundancy and I like the hose routing better than with a single valve. It makes for better gas planning than a pony too.

A back mounted pony with that (third?) reg to strap someplace and an spg (where?)makes for a fire drill of a configuration that I just don't see a way to fix.

Regs mounted in "the triangle"...

The triangle formed from your chin to the corners of your ribs might seem like a good place to place a reg meant for a buddy when you're vertical (like when kneeling during a class) but you shouldn't be vertical. You should be horizontal and under you and almost midway back to your fins is a darned silly place to hide a reg if you ask me.

doole:
Seems a little that you're letting a dive boat's arbitrary rules dictate your style, which to me would be a no-no.

Even a bad buddy is a buddy. The only thing they could do that would terminate your dive would be to disappear, and so be it. If and when you find yourself alone, terminate the dive.

I realize that this may not be an ideal solution either, just want you to consider the other side of the deal.

Why do think a pony is necessary anyway? Even if you blow an o-ring or something at 80 feet, you'll still have time to get to the surface. What are 'unplanned needs'?

Just plan your needs and life could be a LOT simpler.

A bad buddy may be exponentially worse than no buddy. Terminating a dive from 80'
with no air is worse than doing it with a pony and safety stop.

MikeFerrara:
I'm kind of partial to an h-valve on a single tank. It gives a little redundancy and I like the hose routing better than with a single valve. It makes for better gas planning than a pony too.

I like that configuration too, and have dived with it - but I do find the resulting modern art sculpture of the valve a wee bit of a kelp magnet, and not so streamlined.

And not great for travelling, unless the dive op doesn't mind you taking their tanks apart.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom