Pony bottle skills

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lamont, sorry, I do not have any significant dry suit experience except that I like to avoid cold water. I am not sure the original post was about dry suits.

I am with John all the way here with the self fullfilling scenario.

Back to Lamont, being a few lbs positive at the end of a dive is not that big a deal, it may not be the way it is done now but it was commonly done before the time of BCs and I still do so sometimes. It does not cause me to miss any stops. I still use the Navy Tables anyways and within the NDL Limits per the tables so no stops are needed and as I said I stay approx 10 to 20 percent within the tables. The 10 foot safety stop was not always so prevelent but it is a good idea and one I generally abide by. Being a couple of pounds bouyant does not prevent my making a stop.
And all this from a simple pony question--but an excellent discusion nonetheless with many good points to ponder.
An octapus does not provide significant redundancy--it is simply a replacement for the lost art of buddy breathing. A pony or doubles rig or H/Y valve with dual regulators does provide redundancy. Above 60 feet I consider the surface my redundancy, solo I carry no octapus, with a buddy I do, below 60 feet solo I have dual regulators or would consider a pony or doubles. With a buddy within sport diving limits to 130 feet I feel a buddy is my redundancy and carry only an octapus and he/she the same.

It is an old rule, never dive deeper than twice your free dive limit (without redundancy--esp. solo), this allows the surface to be your redundant air source or of course your buddy beyond that limit. The less equipment I carry the better. N

OE2X:
You want to be neutral at the end of your dive when you tank goes much more positive. Generally this means about a 10 pound swing.

Agreed. Which in my experience with a d/s usually means an effortless initial descent.

Sorry, wrong thread

Last edited:
A pony is by no means part of your gas planning. Most of the diving that I do is in cold water (mid 30's - mid 50's). The chance of a freeflow is relatively high. The chance of 2 freeflows is lower, but still possible. I keep a 30cf bottle slung under my left arm. I have a button spg on it, i keep it on during the entire dive. Also, if it begins to freeflow, I can easily manipulate it's valve to slow down the gas flow. I keep it filled with 28% Nitrox, which gives me 1.4Po2 at 132 ft, the deepest that I go. The places that I dive, you don't see all that many divers, especially on the charters without some sort of redundancy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom