Pony Bottle Setup Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had an incident where I should have used my pony, but in haste I elected not to put it on that day. It goes with me on every dive now.

However, I just discovered my pony isn't the protection I thought it was. I've notied that my tank pressure seems to drop from 3,000 to 500 psi over the course of a day's divin, and I don't keep the pony turned on when I'm underwater. Discovered there was substantial leakage from the neck so it's in for a visual this week.

Dr. Bill

With respect to the TSA issue -

In March I flew from Reno to San Diego for some rebreather dives and took two tanks in my checked bags. I walked up to the nice TSA folks and said "I have two scuba tanks in this bag, both with the valves removed". We talked about it for a couple of minutes, they called over their super, and then they accepted the bags.

I don't know if anythings changed since then, but it didn't seem to be a problem in March.

matt_unique:
The purpose of the pony is not just the extra regulator as resolved with the use of an H-valve. The purpose is to have a TOTALLY redundant system in case of primary system failure. For example, blown tank o-ring.
This is highly debated and there are two schools on if an H-valve is redundant enough or not. The thinking is that a tank neck O-ring or a burst disc will blow when the tank pressure is at its high point or rising to it, and that is during fill and on the boat (in car) etc., not in the water.
I see a lot of tech instructors actually using large singles with H-valves for deep deco diving right now so for me it is good enough then for NoDeco redundancy.

DocIntrepid:
I'm curious, however, as to what you consider the most likely scenario to be where your bailout would be the optimal solution.
Free flowing second stage on either octo or main regulator is the most likely failure and without being able to stop the freeflow your tank may run empty before you are at the surface on a deeper dive. Doesn't sound that bad and in the beginning of your dive it isn't either since there is plenty of air in the tank and you would still make it.
As to the H-valve then, it allows you to turn of the whole regulator that has the problem and thus stop the gas loss.
The DAN scenario is good though, says something about foreign resort diving as well.

I have not had to use any bailout procedures yet, been close, with regulators acting up after the dive on the boat.

TSA: It would be great if TSA would publish rules about tanks though so we (divers) don't have to rely on individual supervisors. You run into a grumpy one and your tank is left behind or gone.

--A

Actually fldivenut....TSA has published rules. Some think they are confusing but they read pretty clear to me. It basically states no tanks of any kind or size can go on an airplane in either carry on or checked baggage period.

Enforcement is the problem. I have no doubts someone got a tank on but the problem is....when the come back on the return trip...they hit different TSA reps and they can do what they want too...and if it is enforce the written directives...you just lost a bottle.

As I have said time and time again....where are all these dang money grubbing dive agencies and orgs ....why arent they out there getting the rule changed??

TSA Rules regarding scuba tanks...

http://www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/editorial/editorial_1190.xml
Dive tanks or any compressed gas cylinders are prohibited from carry-on and checked luggage.

I've asked for a clarification about tanks with the valves removed as previously TSA representatives have told me this is ok. I'll let everyone know if I find out anything new.

Atticus:
TSA Rules regarding scuba tanks...

http://www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/editorial/editorial_1190.xml
Dive tanks or any compressed gas cylinders are prohibited from carry-on and checked luggage.

I've asked for a clarification about tanks with the valves removed as previously TSA representatives have told me this is ok. I'll let everyone know if I find out anything new.

Good Luck... I opened another can of worms on TSA a few months ago. The confusion comes from some people believing that a compressed gas/scuba tank is not a compressed gas/scuba tank if the valve is removed, it's only an empty metal canister. I have made two personal requests to receive a clarification in writing, on TSA letterhead only to receive... NOTHING! Since I work in the media my next request will go to TSA on our newsroom letter head, perhaps they will be more responsive to a media inquiry, they don't seem to care about responding to a request from the unwashed masses. I'll post any reply, but don't hold your breath (never hold your breath on SCUBA or when waiting for a reply from the Feds).

Atticus....I take your word implicitly....but...I called TSA and wrote two emails....ALL my responses were the same. They didnt care if it had a valve on it or not..... tanks dont go on airplanes.

RICHinNC:
Atticus....I take your word implicitly....but...I called TSA and wrote two emails....ALL my responses were the same. They didnt care if it had a valve on it or not..... tanks dont go on airplanes.

Rich - thanks for the polite note - so often on SB we get blasted.

It sounds like TSA reps are not all saying the same thing. I checked their web page and it seemed pretty clear that we are NOT allowed to take scuba tanks on airplanes under any circumstances, so I would be inclined to agree with you.

I'd still like to hear back from them, and if tanks sans valves are acceptable that will make my life easier.

It's possible that since my trip in early March the rules have changed. That would explain the conflicting messages.

For normal recreational divers this isn't a big deal. For OC tech divers it's a major hassle, and for RB divers it is even worse (how many shops keep 30cf O2 clean tanks in rental?)

Their suggestion that we ship our tanks to our destination may become reality, even though for me it will mean buying multiple sets of tanks so I don't have to do without for several days before and after every trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom