Pony Bottle Setup Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As I am goint to visit Saipan this weekened I called Tokyo office of North West Air LIne today. The airline personal said it is OK to carry non compressed scuba tanks. But she also said it is a policy of the air carrier to charge Yen 8,300(about $75 ) for that. She also added if the fact is declared by a client. I responded it could be more trouble if they find out the bomb like object in my suitcase. I have not decided if I should bring my SpareAir or not.

Meitaro

Atticus:
Rich - thanks for the polite note - so often on SB we get blasted.

It sounds like TSA reps are not all saying the same thing. I checked their web page and it seemed pretty clear that we are NOT allowed to take scuba tanks on airplanes under any circumstances, so I would be inclined to agree with you.

I'd still like to hear back from them, and if tanks sans valves are acceptable that will make my life easier.

It's possible that since my trip in early March the rules have changed. That would explain the conflicting messages.

For normal recreational divers this isn't a big deal. For OC tech divers it's a major hassle, and for RB divers it is even worse (how many shops keep 30cf O2 clean tanks in rental?)

Their suggestion that we ship our tanks to our destination may become reality, even though for me it will mean buying multiple sets of tanks so I don't have to do without for several days before and after every trip.

:11ztongue [ I have just returned from trip to Saipan. Brought SpareAir with me. No problem at all going out of Narita and Saipan with the tank. There was a pretty serious inspection going on at Saipan airport but no problem. Yet a pony was looked at by the Japanese dive shop guides with curious eye.

Meitaro

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom