Pony Bottle Setup Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nikyyo

Contributor
Reaction score
I will be going back to Cozumel in 2 weeks and will be diving with a 13cu pony bottle for the first time. I am aware of all the caveats associated with ponys. I have read all of the posts. I especially appreciated the responses i have received in the past regarding pony bottles (especially from Uncle Pug and Rich in NC). I have decided on a rear mount but my question is whether to maintain 3 second stages in the system (i.e. 2 second stages from main scuba tank and one second stage from Pony bottle, or getting rid of my octopus and only maintaining 2 second stages, one from main tank and one from pony). All opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I would keep the octo from main regulator/tank. Or should I say 'I did keep it'.
The reasons are:
- Helping other diver does not need to be done with pony.
- Main regulator second stage malfunction does not have to be recovered with pony.
- I might not have pony with me on every dive.

Not having to rely on pony for other divers or my main second stage emergenies is most important on first dive since you then don't have to "loose" your pony for your second dive.

--A

hey nik....its real early in the morning...coffee hasnt kicked.....let me make sure i understand your question...

There are two ways to do this....

One way is to have a primary reg....the one you use....
an octo.....AND....the pony bottle reg.......(thats 3 regs)

Another way is to have a primary reg.......the one you use....
An Airsource, Air 2 or some other kind of alternate on your inflator hose
And... the pony bottle reg. (still 3 regs...but one is not as obtrusive)

This second method gets rid of one reg (in a way)......and is my personal preference. Some
dont like it and I am sure they will state so here.

But be aware of something you are about to run into.....it is in writing on the
TSA website that pony bottles can no longer be taken on airplanes in either
carryon....or....packed in baggage. They are suppose to be confiscated.

You might want to talk to your local TSA customer rep.....but ....he/she can
only talk about their airport....not the one you have to go through on the way
back. You could lose your pony.

Let me know how that goes.

And i have said it before......why arent all these dang dive agencies and organizations up in arms against divers being penalized during travel.

But be aware of something you are about to run into.....it is in writing on the TSA website that pony bottles can no longer be taken on airplanes in either carryon....or....packed in baggage. They are suppose to be confiscated. You might want to talk to your local TSA customer rep.....but ....he/she can only talk about their airport....not the one you have to go through on the way back. You could lose your pony.

I started the thread on the TSA ban http://www.scubaboard.com/t48238.html, and as one who wants to take a pony bottle to Jamaica this July (for a PADI wreck course), I attempted a follow-up with TSA. I recently requested a clearification of the rule "in writing" on TSA letterhead. I received a confirmation of my request, but have not received the written clarification of the rule. It has now been over a month since my request. I plan to ask again, and expect to be ignored again... our tax dollars at work. Travel with your pony bottle at you own risk (of losing it). Good luck.

d33ps1x:
Is this a serious question? No offense. Just honestly curious.

since you asked him im asking you. what about this question isnt serious? ive been asked that question by a number of people using ponies for the first time. it seems completely honest and legit and I cant understand why it wouldn't to you. IMHO we need more questions like this and none like yours. oh, and no offense. just honestly curious.

Forgive me for offending your sensibilities d33ps1x. This is the first time I am using a Pony bottle and to me this is a sensible question. If it is indeed a stupid one, i will learn that from the responses that I get from members on this board. However, most scubaboard members understand that ALL questions are reasonable and the only incredulous one is the one that isn't asked. Thanks to everone else who has so far responded. I work at the airport and will ask TSA today about travelling with the pony bottle. Not that I am expecting them to know.

Sounded like a fair question to me. Why the negative responce? I do not understand or agree with your statement. I asked allot of folks about pony bottles before I made my purchase and got great help from people on this board they gave me allot of info and logically gave information that was HELPFULL. I wanted a 6cft but they convinced me 13 or larger was the way to go and I did.And I am glad they were able to change my mind , they were right. Nikyyo their are many folks on this board that will give you good helpfull info don't give up, your question will be answered. Look at the other posts already.Deal with them. I think the statement made was not in the spirit of this board. And sounded rude to me. IMHO. Sorry d33ps1x but thats how I see it.

FWIW...

You always want two second stages off your backgas. If your buddy was to have issues, your backgas is what would bring you and your buddy to the surface.

Your bailout bottle is a redundant gas source for you, should some catastrophic failure suddenly deplete your backgas (e.g. burst disk failure, tank neck o-ring, sliced LP hose, some other equally unlikely scenario) and your buddy be less than immediately available. (Sometimes you don't get to pick your buddy, and wind up with a buddy you otherwise wouldn't pick!)

So in the circumstances you describe, you'd want one reg on your bailout bottle and one reg + a 2nd second stage on your backgas. IMHO.

I'm in the process of setting up a 19 cu. ft. pony bottle now, and everything so far indicates to me to have your normal setup on the main tank or duals, and a 3rd regulator on the pony bottle.

Was told that a 6 cu. ft. wouldn't be enough for adv. deep or intro to tech diving, 13 cu. ft. was the minimum.

I'm going with a 3rd regulator.

Dave the Diver

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom