pony bottle-open or closed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Open
1. The OP is using a yoke valve. It's the pressure in the cylinder that forms the seal, so it's less likely to leak if it's on

If it's off, you aren't likely to lose any air from a leak, though.

The argument is made that, if the pony is back-mounted, you cannot see leaks -- which is true, but you can't see leaks out of your primary tank, either, and we all live with that.

We have SPGs on our backmounted cylinders.

We have SPGs on our backmounted cylinders.

Just as a note, the two ponies I rented (from different dive ops) both did have SPG's on them. Apparently that's not always the case.

Mine is back mounted. I keep it open and the reg around my neck with a bungee cord so I can easily grab it and use it. I did once on a safety stop, because I was STUPID.

halemanō;6034340:
And a backmounted pony is among those backmounted cylinders with SPG's. :eyebrow:

Well, good then :)

Interesting to hear the different perspectives. I have it back mounted with my reg. and a small SPG sitting right in front, so while I can't see a leak, I can easily deal with a free-flow and can monitor pressure with the SPG. While my buddy should let me know if there's a leak, I prefer not to rely on him/her, especially if I'm paired up with someone I don't know (unless I'm with my club, I'm a solo diver). Thanks for all your comments.

Slung, charged, with valve open. Just my preferance. If I or a buddy needs gas it's good to go and the reg is visible incase of freeflow. No need to turn the valve on in an emergency.

I carry a slung 19 cu ft with a SPG on a short hose and a DIN regulator when I dive solo. I keep it on. The regulator is right beside me to detect freeflow and I can easily check the system pressure. I practice deploying it on most dives I use it. Works for me.

Good diving, Craig

Slung 19, valve open. One reason is that I use a Sherwood with an air bleed. The second is that when I dive double hose and pony, I attach it to my BC and consider it a 17.

Bob
----------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

Back
Top Bottom