Pony bottle harness/side mount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As some one who enjoys taking pictures underwater i found it so helpful to take the self reliant course. My question is.. what is the minimum size redundant air tank should I purchase. I know.. I should have counted and done more math while diving but I did not. l am in US where I can shop for pony tank and hope to return to island in near future. I am vertically challenged so size really matters. I know better than to rely on spare air. My divediva instructor made that very clear! Just looking for some suggestions! thank you.

this would be very difficult for me to reach to turn on. Maybe even impossible. esp with one hand.

leave it in open position and spare secondary bungeed around your neck

whenever you check your primary cylinder air, check pony air as well - thats my practice

I generally check every 10 minutes

As some one who enjoys taking pictures underwater i found it so helpful to take the self reliant course. My question is.. what is the minimum size redundant air tank should I purchase. I know.. I should have counted and done more math while diving but I did not. l am in US where I can shop for pony tank and hope to return to island in near future. I am vertically challenged so size really matters. I know better than to rely on spare air. My divediva instructor made that very clear! Just looking for some suggestions! thank you.

For most recreational divers an AL19 or AL30 will suffice. Depending upon your SAC/RMV and typical depths that you dive an AL13 may also be adequate. Some of us use AL40s because we have them from current/past technical diving and they aren't any harder to sling than an AL30.

I understand this.
But I run a short SPG over my left shoulder and under the inflator hose.
I check spare cylinder pressure every time I check primary tank pressure (every ten minutes or so).

So if there was a leak, I'd catch it in time to abort my dive.

Is my reasoning apt?

If all these slinger divers had any understanding of their unwarranted fears
they would reverse their bcd and harness their primary tanks to their chest

this would be very difficult for me to reach to turn on. Maybe even impossible. esp with one hand.

What happened to your other hand

See the smile in my eyes

full.jpg

See my pony

It's easy

Sorry,

Digging a little deeper, it looks like the cam-strap is probably good for everything: Dive Rite Tank Strap, Narrow w/Low Profile Cam Buckle
unless they trim the "small" kits in advance.

My guess was the elastic retainer bands are a bit too large for the <5" dia. cylinders, however: Dive Rite Hose Retainer, Deluxe

Call Dive Rite or DGX to confirm but it looks like it should work from the component descriptions.

And the shorter AL19 may be too short to work well with this. [Question, are AL19s rented???? I'd figure AL30s and 40s would be more common. I brought my own rigged 19 in checked baggage, so what do I know.]

@jf3193 you could just add the Dive Rite 1.5" cam-strap to your choice of strap kit in place of the SS band clamp to produce your own quick attach/release version and save a few bucks.
Thanks for the research!!

Did they go over your
See the smile in my eyes

View attachment 652498

See my pony

It's easy
is that the faith no more version?

I didn't understand.

Those concerned about a back mounted pony unknowingly leaking, should wear their primary tank on their chest

is that the faith no more version?

It sounds like Faith No More especially with the oooughhh!!! bit, It says Faith No More
but it's not the commonly played version, so I think it's Burt Bacharach.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom