Pony bottle harness/side mount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Those who carry a back mounted pony bottle as I do might want to consider doing what I do.

Since I "use" my pony bottle on virtually every dive- I consider it a redundant emergency source of gas during the dive (bailout) and then use it as a "stage" bottle towards the end of the dive- meaning that I allow my main tank reserve to drop below 500 psi even at depth since I have the pony bottle- it allows me to extend almost every dive.

Since I treat the pony bottle as such, I have a transmitter on the main AND the pony tank and my pony bottle wrist computer is on my left wrist. It's not only streamlined and functional but it looks cool and when people say "why do you wear a computer on each wrist?" it always makes for great conversation/debate as to how I utilize my pony bottle to extend my dives.

The pony bottle computer also serves as a backup (I set it to the same Nitrox blend as my main tank so it accurately tracks my NDLs).
This again? I was under the impression this “method” was already debunked by half the board the last time you brought it up?

To OP, please don’t do this.

This again? I was under the impression this “method” was already debunked by half the board the last time you brought it up?

Nobody debunked it and not a single responding poster person gave a good reason not to do it.

But what do you do on your second dive if you don't go back to it dive center or refilling station?

I generally don’t draw any gas from the pony. It’s a redundant gas source during the dive and towards the end of the dive I’ve got a larger reserve than most single AL80 divers have in their tank.

I typically dive solo so I don’t need to be concerned about gas for a buddy but when I do dive with a buddy I won’t let my primary tank gas drop as low so they’ve got at least 6-700 psi available and I’ve got the pony which I would access via the reg which is bungeed around my neck.

I monitor the pony PSI with a second AI computer on my left wrist.

I clip my always with 50% deco bottle here

full.jpg

or here

full.jpg

with this

full.jpg

Leaves my front clear for shark raslin

full.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom