Pony bottle for my solo dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I own both 13 and 19 cu ft pony bottles and solo about 85-90% of the time. The 13 was adequate for much of my diving above 100 ft. However when I started doing deeper dives I switched to the 19 and am thinking of a 30. I think you'd be fine with a 13 based on your description, but a 19 would give you that extra margin.

So, there you go. Nothing too special there. I need a pony bottle for this kind of stuff. The typical response I've seen about PB questions is something like "get a 30 or 40 - extra gas, not much bigger - just do it and you'll be happy." That would be fine I guess - except that I would STRONGLY PREFER something I can carry on the plane in my carry-on bag. The biggest one that will fit, as far as I can tell, is a 19cf bottle. I also think that will meet my emergency gas needs, for the situations described above. Finally, I think a 19cf would make an adequate emergency gas source for my non-solo dives, as described above. Certainly better than nothing anyway.

I'll just agree that a 19cf pony appears to meet your criteria quite well, including your carry-on requirement.

Just curious, when you travel to a warm-water destination, will you possibly want your pony to supply additional air to occasionally dive deeper and/or lengthen a dive, not just provide bail-out?

Just something to consider.

A few years ago, I spent a couple of weeks solo diving in Bonaire and found myself occasionally using quite a bit of the air in my 30cf pony when a dive was particularly special or deep.

That seemed to happen more often than in the cold, dark waters of home.... :)

Dave C

I'll pile on and say at the depths you like to dive, a 19 should be plenty of insurance. I like mine, it dissapears when diving.

however, I don't travel with mine either. It seems a little big to be fun to carry around the airports. You may want to consider 2. One for Alaska, and one for vacation...

I found many helpful calculation about depth & bailout bottle here on SB.
19cf is enough if you'll keep your max depth.
I went 30cf (luxfer) coz I go down deeper, I feel heavy on the land with this,
but underwater I don't feel it anymore & did not effect any weight trim.

Just curious, when you travel to a warm-water destination, will you possibly want your pony to supply additional air to occasionally dive deeper and/or lengthen a dive, not just provide bail-out?
Well - I don't think so. Given that doing so would require my dive buddy to ALSO have the extra air - I don't think so. I'm not saying that it couldn't happen - I may want to do it some day. But I don't think the frequency of such events would merit losing my ability to carry on my pony.

I guess if I really needed more air for a dive, my buddy and I could rent a 30. That's my thinking anyway. FWIW - one thing I didn't mention in the OP - is one goal is of course to save on rental costs. At $25+/day (a recent quote I was given), it doesn't take too long to pay for a pony.

All: Thanks bunches for your insights.

You've already made your decision for a 19 cu ft, I made the same decison and that's what I dive with. I've had quite a bit of experience with taking it planes, carry on works fine as long as the valve is out for inspection.

Good diving, Craig

Thank you for the discussion about flying with a pony. I've never had any problems taking my regulators (& computers & mask) on board (domestic & international) - but I've never taken my pony. I will consider this.

Most of my diving is Jetty Diving in Oregon's Pacific NW and is 50 ft and under (yesterday at low tide was 35 ft and 48 degrees). I use a 13 cuft Pony attached by a strap to my tank. When I switch out my main tank (100 or 80 HP steel), I only have to open my pony strap and slide the new tank in. I am in my mid 50's and my once perfect vision does not focus as well as they used to, so I replaced the button air pressure gauge with a full sized analog gauge on a hose (I can see it clearly :) ).

When I dive deeper than 50 ft (Hood Canal/Puget Sound, Washington) I use my 19 cuft pony. I also have an extra 13 cuft pony on a sling that I can use or loan to a friend.

Note: About OOA drills - Remember that a pony does not attach to your BCD, so when you practice using your pony also practice orally inflating your BCD (and periodically practice dropping your weights).

drdaddy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom