Pony bottle and travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stas

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm planing on buying a pony bottle and besides local diving, I want to take it with me when I go on dive vacations (which for me means flying). However, I was told that airlines won't transport cylinders (and weights). Is this true, and if it is, what do I do.
Thanks for your input,
Stas

You mean everytime?
What about moisture getting in.
I will use it with nitrox. An I supposed to get it O2 cleaned every time. No way
Stas

Stas,

Your LDS will have a small, plastic, screw-in plug that you can use to seal the top after you remove the valve. Be sure to put the valve in a plastic bag.

TSA will not put anything in the cylinder. They will shine a light into it at most, and hopefully will put the plug back in.

No, you will not have to O2 clean the thing, unless there is obvious contamination.

Have fun travelling.

What is "obvious contamination"? Also, moisture will definetly get in. And will the local dive shops fill an empty tank?
Thanks for the reply
stas

The shops should not have a problem filling the tank.

Is there a reason you want to use nitrox in a "pony" bottle? If you are using this as a true bailout bottle a nitrox fill is not needed.

stas:
What is "obvious contamination"? Also, moisture will definetly get in. And will the local dive shops fill an empty tank?
Thanks for the reply
stas

When you arrive the LDS may visually inspect (VIS) the cylinder before filling. Also, they will be able to seat the valve correctly to the cylinder and replace o-ring if neccessary-And give you peace of mind!

Hope this helps

Rap

There is little reason to use nitrox in a pony and good reason not to including the PITA of filling and the danger of ending up with a richer mix in your pony than in your planned back gas. I remove the valve, seal it in a baggie, and cover the opening with clear plastic an inspector can see thru. I carry a small light and check that there is not visual contamination before I reinstall the valve (good to have spare o-ring #214 I believe). Most ops that are able to refill are happy to do so. Some may charge and take a day to do it if the compressor is not on-site. I built a crossover hose and can top off or fill my own (from a checkout tank or the first couple boat tanks) if necessary.

awap:
There is little reason to use nitrox in a pony and good reason not to including the PITA of filling and the danger of ending up with a richer mix in your pony than in your planned back gas. I remove the valve, seal it in a baggie, and cover the opening with clear plastic an inspector can see thru. I carry a small light and check that there is not visual contamination before I reinstall the valve (good to have spare o-ring #214 I believe). Most ops that are able to refill are happy to do so. Some may charge and take a day to do it if the compressor is not on-site. I built a crossover hose and can top off or fill my own (from a checkout tank or the first couple boat tanks) if necessary.

I use a plastic baggie too, but I always find it off. The inspector probably removed it to look inside and never bothers to replace it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom