Pony bottle/alternate air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dumpsterDiver:
I started using doubles when I was 15 yrs old. Then the bigger aluminum 80 tanks came out and I used them as singles. Later I used 100 cu-ft aluminums and now I use 80's, 100's, LP 108 and LP 125 steel tanks (all as single tanks) with the addition of a pony and sometimes another deco bottle of oxygen. Single LP 125's, "when pumped up", hold about as much air as a pair of aluminum 80's.

I do deco dives to 190 feet and see no reason to dive doubles. My one buddy has 2 complete sets of double steel (95's? ) and he has not used them in years, because they just are not necessary and too heavy and slow the diver down too much for spearfishing in high currents.

There are lots of people that will eventually engage in "advanced diving" and never feel the need to graduate to double tanks.

The usefulness of doubles on a staged decompression dive to 190 ft is pretty well established and is pretty much centered around shear volume and redundancy on the whole volume. I haven't done all that much spear fishing but we dive doubles in some pretty high flow too.

dumpsterDiver, don't let them get to you. I am not endorsing your style but the world needs non confomist. There is a thread around here about scuba diving and how relaxing it is and how it is a "hobby" and not a sport. I bet you dive with your hair on FIRE, gungho and blowing bubbles, throttle to the stop. You go man!!!!!!

N

MikeFerrara:
The usefulness of doubles on a staged decompression dive to 190 ft is pretty well established and is pretty much centered around shear volume and redundancy on the whole volume.

Obviously not that well established Mike.

190 ft on a single, oi, so what gas are you using for those dives dumpster?

Nemrod:
dumpsterDiver, don't let them get to you. I am not endorsing your style but the world needs non confomist. There is a thread around here about scuba diving and how relaxing it is and how it is a "hobby" and not a sport. I bet you dive with your hair on FIRE, gungho and blowing bubbles, throttle to the stop. You go man!!!!!!

N

Look around the next time you're out diving. The doubles divers are the nonconformists.

Actually, pony divers are too. They are a rare breed where I dive.

Diver Dennis:
Actually, pony divers are too. They are a rare breed where I dive.
True. I can count on one hand the number of pony divers I have seen.

I've seen way more doubles divers, but that just could be because of the company I keep.

But thats just life on scubaDIRboard LOL

JeffG:
True. I can count on one hand the number of pony divers I have seen.

I've seen way more doubles divers, but that just could be because of the company I keep.

But thats just life on scubaDIRboard LOL
Yeah, I can think of very few times I've seen doubles onboard, many more when I saw other ponies - being a 5 times/year vacation diver. :crafty:

When diving doubles, a 30 cu. ft. stage bottle slung. With a single, I have a "H" valve with two seperate 1st. and 2nd. stages and a 19 cu. ft. pony strapped to the tank.

I dive air and 100% oxygen and prefer not to be responsible for any other idiot who will accompany me on such dives. I use a small pony which should get me to 20 feet and a stage bottle of oxygen that should get me to the surface. If my deco is more than 15 minutes, I usually plan to meet up with a buddy to ascend together which makes it a little safer. If solo, I keep the deco under 15 minutes or so. It is not macho and is simple if everything goes perfectly. I honestly worry much more about sharks and bloody fish than I worry about the diving itself.

My point is simply that not everyone will be sucked into using doubles, even for some moderately advanced dives.

Back
Top Bottom