Pony attachments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gtcpl2

Reaction score
Ok, I am new and thinking about getting a 13cf pony bottle. My question is which mounting system do you use? The hose clamps or the quick draw pony bracket?

Also my LDS says to take the octo off your main reg, buy a new first stage and attach the octo to that one with the pony. Do you recommend this? or should you keep your main regs and octo on your main tank and buy a new first and second stage for the pony?

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/Scuba_Tanks.asp

http://www.reefscuba.com/bracket.htm

Thanks for the info

I'd get a complete new first and second stage. If you remove your octo then you have to dive with the pony. If you keep the octo you have the choice to use the pony or not

Joe

edit: the other option would be to carry a set of wreches and plugs to move the octo back and forth.

Keep your existing reg setup the same, buy a new 1'st/2'nd stage setup for the pony and set it up as a stage (slung) instead of mounting it on your tank (where you can't hand it off to another diver, check for leaks, manipulate the valve, check tank pressure, etc).

I would go for something slightly larger than a 13cf bottle as well. AL19's are nice and the same diameter as a 13 (albeit longer and a bit heavier on land).

Do a search and you should find my set-up complete with pix.

Drbill, please throw me a bone. I did a couple searches but need some assistance to find your set up. Some of the threads are numerous pages long and will take me forever LOL

Don't know if you made your purchase, but any backup is good. I went with the stage bottle setup for a 19cu ft, as that should be adequate for deepter recreational dives.
I have not really had any problems with the sling setup, and in the water it is not even on my mind. Last weekend, my buddy who was trying the setup where the poney is clamped on his tank had some problems - like it came completely loose at 110ft.
Personally, I like the ability to check the unit and have easy access to use it or pass it off if needed.
Hope your decision works well for you.

OK, I admit it. I am a dummy but can you explain the sling process?
It congers up all kinds of images for me.
A 19 cf is about 21" long and 4.5 wide.
Isn't that a bit large to sling over your sholder?
I assume you have a 1st & 2nd stage attached also.

Dutchman:
OK, I admit it. I am a dummy but can you explain the sling process?
It congers up all kinds of images for me.
A 19 cf is about 21" long and 4.5 wide.
Isn't that a bit large to sling over your sholder?
I assume you have a 1st & 2nd stage attached also.

ummmmmm... maybe a picture would help at this point :D

This isn't a "pony" in the pic but the idea is the same.

Slinging may work for some, but I prefer mounting my pony to my main tank. I use a 30cf and attach it with the super pony tamer. It doesn't slip, or roll aroung back there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom