Pompano Dive Center and charters going out of business...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I did a search of Sands Harbor Resort, all I got was this three year old stuff about them being sold and Pompano Dive Center losing their lease there. Does anyone have current info about the SHR and whatever dive operation moved in after PDC moved out?
I’m considering a trip with a local (Central VA) group going down in January and staying there to dive with their current dive op. After all the kerfuffle 4 years ago, what kind of experience am I likely to have now (in Jan, 2024)?
Thanks in advance for any current information and please understand I don’t want to open up any old wounds, it’s just that I have this possible opportunity for a dive trip.
🐸

When I did a search of Sands Harbor Resort, all I got was this three year old stuff about them being sold and Pompano Dive Center losing their lease there. Does anyone have current info about the SHR and whatever dive operation moved in after PDC moved out?
I’m considering a trip with a local (Central VA) group going down in January and staying there to dive with their current dive op. After all the kerfuffle 4 years ago, what kind of experience am I likely to have now (in Jan, 2024)?
Thanks in advance for any current information and please understand I don’t want to open up any old wounds, it’s just that I have this possible opportunity for a dive trip.
🐸
There is currently a thread asking roughly the same thing. It will give you what you are looking for.

The shop that took over the location for Pompano Dive Center is South Florida Diving Headquarters. Their ownership had a whole lot to do with Pompano Dive Center being forced out. They wanted that spot.

Hi @Green Frog

I haven't dived south of Boynton Beach for a very long time. There appears to be a page on the SFDH website regarding the Sands Harbor Resort & Marina.
I did dive off Scubatyme III out of Boynton Harbor Marina once in September, it was generally fine

I did dive off Scubatyme III out of Boynton Harbor Marina once in September, it was generally fine
Yes, that is the new home of Scubatyme. It has nothing to do with the Pompano Beach area any more.

Yes, that is the new home of Scubatyme. It has nothing to do with the Pompano Beach area any more.

Yup, it's in BB marina. SFDH bought Scubatyme (and their boat) like 2 years ago?

SFDH still has 3 boats in Sands Harbor though.

Does anyone have current info about the SHR and whatever dive operation moved in after PDC moved out?

If you're staying in SHR and have no car, SFDH is your only viable option. AquaLife is about a mile or so north of it

The shop that took over the location for Pompano Dive Center is South Florida Diving Headquarters. Their ownership had a whole lot to do with Pompano Dive Center being forced out. They wanted that spot.
Yup. One of the myriad reasons I won’t dive with SFDH. Unfortunately, there currently aren’t any decent charter operators hitting the sites off of Pompano IMO. Which is really too bad because there’s some awesome wrecks there. These days all of my diving is north in Palm Beach County.

SFDH has also contributed to the Pompano wreck landscape (involuntarily and temporarily).

I hope SFDH has functional rental gear now, since they had a lot of broken stuff when I dove with them years ago.

SFDH has also contributed to the Pompano wreck landscape (involuntarily and temporarily).

OK, remember I asked the question because I don’t know anything about the local goings-on. Would you be willing to shed a little more light on the event(s) you hinted at? I’m about to get hooked up with a dive trip that is being arranged by a dive shop here in VA. The shop owner has never been there but has had good second hand reports of the combined hotel and dive operations and they are offering reasonable rates. I don’t want to put myself in a bad position by joining in on a losing proposition, but I also don’t want to be left out of a good trip just because of old hard feelings over past business dealings that don’t or won’t affect me.
Green 🐸 Frog
PS My LDS owner has been told that they have two large and one smaller dive boat, and that if we bring a group of 12 we’ll have the smaller boat to ourselves with somewhat more control of where we dive.

OK, remember I asked the question because I don’t know anything about the local goings-on. Would you be willing to shed a little more light on the event(s) you hinted at? I’m about to get hooked up with a dive trip that is being arranged by a dive shop here in VA. The shop owner has never been there but has had good second hand reports of the combined hotel and dive operations and they are offering reasonable rates. I don’t want to put myself in a bad position by joining in on a losing proposition, but I also don’t want to be left out of a good trip just because of old hard feelings over past business dealings that don’t or won’t affect me.
Green 🐸 Frog
PS My LDS owner has been told that they have two large and one smaller dive boat, and that if we bring a group of 12 we’ll have the smaller boat to ourselves with somewhat more control of where we dive.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom