• DiversDiscount

Votes: 22 10.1%
  • DiveUS

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • Other

Votes: 27 12.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just read your PM, you did answer the question. I just happen to think you are wrong. People (me included) avoid paying retail prices whenever we can. Most retailers know that and work within the system. Consumers will make any market a free market by what they are willing to pay for products. As a manager of a dive shop I'm surprised to here you say the dive industry is not a "free market." Maybe I misunderstood.
Peace

My best friend and I have bought from Scubatoys, twice now. Wonderful service, very friendly and very quick to make contact after an online sale if there are questions or so on and their prices seem to be very competitive. We will continue to do business with them any chance we get.

LUBOLD8431-I was not going to respond to this thread as Pyrite pointed out, this subject has been beat to death......but responding to your post regarding training.....etc. Yes, I did use my LDS, one of the four in town, no, three, one just OOB last month, and they did a fine job with initial education. Was it anything special, no. Did they provide a service, yes and I paid them for their time. The open water dives were a complete joke. Done in an old flooded quartz mine that had vis of about 3 ft. Each dive took less than 15 minutes most of which was just waiting on others doing their skills in a black out.

OK, regarding gear.....I did some research on the net about all equipment but I purchased a dive suit from same LDS. I wanted to support the LDS and there was not enough money to be saved via net to be concerned about. I chose to wait on other essential equipment until later but did discuss all gear. They were quite happy to explain that they have "great deals" on packages so I should buy all my gear from them. One year later I did purchase gear for me and my wife. I could buy full gear, Seaquest, Tusa, Titan Regs, Suunto guages, etc for both of us on line for ~$1500. LDS's "great deals" on packages was almost $1000 more including sales tax. I went back twice and tried to to business with them but they kept telling me the prices I was using were BELOW THEIR COST. Hum......now......how can that be......... I am all for supporting my LDS but they should be providing a competitive product for a competitive price. They should also employ competent help. Many LDS I have visited have very young and uneducated (regarding the products they are selling) kids. I don't need some kid telling me that the best products on the markets are the ones they are selling. I can find a whole host of people to give me their opinions. I can even find it on line and save a serious amout of jack doing it. Oh, warrenty, not too concern about it. For what I paid for my gear, if something goes bad, I'll buy another one.

all4diving......out
:sharky:

I can say that enjoy working with 2 LDSs in my area.

I use one for training and travel deals. I really enjoy working with the instructors and I recommend the shop to a lot of people.

The second dive shop I use is also an internet shop. I use them for equipment repair and minor upgrades. They have excellent techs and the prices are right.

Having said that, these shops cannot compare with the prices that I have found on the net. More than once I have found price differences of more than 50%. These net houses move so much inventory that they can afford to offer great prices.

I have had this discussion with both LDSs and they cannot compete. So, I continue to support them where I can, but a great price is still a great price.

Enjoy the ride :mean:

I must say, everyone has had valid points. I have ordered from both online stores such as LeisurePro and Diversdiscount as well as my LDS. I do like the personal attention and friendly people at my LDS but I can put all that aside if I am saving 50% online. Now that said if the LDS is 10-15% higher I would gladly by from the LDS. I haven't had that happen too often though.

I had a bad experience with Divers Discount in CA. They sent a defective BC, then nailed me for 15 percent restocking fee and shipping both ways... this after two repair shops said construction was screwed up. Divers Discount said they could find nothing wrong with a BC that didn't inflate on one side... go figure!

OTOH, have had good experiences with Divers Direct and Leisure Pro.

The problem you had with your BC seems very unusual, because Diversdiscount.com is an Authorized Dealer for every product they sell and item comes with a full manufactures warranty. If there was a defect in the equipment and it was still within the manufactures warranty guidelines there should have been absolutely no problem with having it repaired. Since the product was under manufacture warranty your local dive shop should have been able to complete the repair or it could have been sent directly to the manufacture. Without details of the transaction and return it's hard to say why you had difficulty with this. If you would like to forward more information to me I will investigate further.
This is the return policy as listed on the website:

At Divers Discount Supply, we are proud to offer a 30-day Satisfaction Guarantee on all of our merchandise. To return an item, just follow the directions below and we’ll do the rest!

If it is within 30 days and the items are new with original packaging, there is a 100% credit or refund on any item.

If it is between 30 - 90 days and the items are new, there is just a 15% restocking fee.

Scuba Toys or Divers Discount for me.

I try the local dive shops around here to see if they will come close to matching or making it worthwhile to buy the product but I get strange looks or the sells person become unhelpful once I ask to make it worth mywhile.

Back
Top Bottom