Poll: What are the top tier regulator brands?

Poll: What are the top tier regulator brands (as noted)?

• APEKS

Votes: 106 52.5%
  • Aqualung

Votes: 45 22.3%
  • Atomic

Votes: 94 46.5%
  • Dive Rite

Votes: 8 4.0%
  • Mares

Votes: 10 5.0%
  • Oceanic

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Scubapro

Votes: 121 59.9%
  • Sherwood

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • Tusa

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Zeagle

Votes: 10 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doctor Rig

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
What are your top three (3) brands with top-tier regulators costing less than $600 for active recreational divers? (3 votes are allowed)

In voting, please give fair consideration to the brands (1) Performance (new & cared-for used), (2) Comfort, (3) Ruggedness, (4) Cost (purchase & maintenance), and (5) Brand warranty & customer service.

Note: I’m hoping readers with multiple brand experience will share their valued opinion in this poll, to add to its validity. Voting by readers without multiple brand experience would decrease the poll’s validity and thus are asked not to vote. Of coarse, everyone’s comments are welcome within this thread.

Thanks for your participation!

well that's a different question than the title. You asked top tier regulator brands, but are missing Poseidon, Argonaut, and Deep 6.
Several other manufacturers left out as well including Hollis so it is not a comprehensive list of manufacturers.
You list a budget, but the "top tier" regulators from most of those manufacturers are considerably more expensive than $550 for just a first and second stage, so do you want the best value regulator at that price point, or do you want the best of the best regardless of price?
Apeks XTX40/DS4 is $570 and is pretty much the bottom of their regulator list, but their "top tier" is the XTX200 at $800.
You list regulators that I would certainly not consider "top tier" from a quality standpoint like Oceanic, but then leave out one of the highest quality regulator manufacturers with Poseidon.

1- performance from brands like Deep6, Poseidon, Scubapro, Apeks, and Atomic can't really be beat, but the others are like 90+% of the way to those performance specs so that's all a wash
2- that is largely a function of the mouthpiece that is used and whether it is comfortable to you. Things like swivels/elbows are universal, braided hoses are universal, etc. so that is all a wash
3-Most of them are pretty darn durable as well so you aren't going to have a lot of differentiation. I am a Poseidon guy and you'd be hard pressed to find anything more durable than the Cyklon which is why it is used in sump diving, but that doesn't mean you can't knock someone out with a Dive Rite XT and not change any of its performance
4- Purchase prices are all over the place for the brands you mentioned and maintenance costs are largely identical if you're going to a LDS for factory service, certainly within $10/stage as the labor is all usually fixed price and the parts kits are all about the same price.
5- brand warranty and CS is something that will actually change. I would never buy a regulator from AUP due to their customer service, nor would I buy a regulator that has a warranty based on dealer authorized service at x-intervals. That narrows the list considerably for those that actually have lifetime warranties and stand behind them.

Unfortunately IMO the poll is largely worthless, and if you're trying to find a regulator for yourself, you'd get far more useful information by asking directly for it. Provide things such as location of diving, willingness to do your own service, travel or not, ultimate goals for type of diving, what your buddies are using, what your budget is, etc etc. That can help us narrow down and provide you with some more useful information.

Oops. I didn’t see the budget.

@tbone1004 Thanks for your comments, especially on brands missing. There omission was not intended, but they cannot be added as the poll cannot be edited. Yes, I’ve focused on value oriented regulators, as any brand should be able to make a top-tier high cost regulator. I did edit my $ limit to $600 from $550.

@tbone1004 Thanks for your comments, especially on brands missing. There omission was not intended, but they cannot be added as the poll cannot be edited. Yes, I’ve focused on value oriented regulators, as any brand should be able to make a top-tier high cost regulator. I did edit my $ limit to $600 from $550.

either way, the brands that I would consider best value are not there.
This is the best value new regulator on the market, end of discussion. No one else can touch it in terms of quality, serviceability, CS, or anything else at that price, but without having input from the rest of the questions that I posed to you, a proper recommendation can't be made
Deep 6 Configurable Regulator Package

I"m curious as to what you mean by "top tier." Are you talking biggest name? What's most popular among rec divers? What manufactures have been around the longest? Best bang for the buck?

I'm sure I haven't tried most of those brands you listed. I have made dives with Atomic (Z2), Mares, Tusa, Oceanic, Scubapro, and Sherwood. And honestly I didn't really notice much difference between them, with the exception of the Atomic Z2. And it was only marginally better at that. But during my normal rec diving, I don't dive any of those regulators. I dive a Hog D3 1st stage, which has been nothing short of great in the 2.5 years I've owned it, coupled with an Ocean Reef G. Diver FFM most of the time unless I'm doing coursework, in which case using the Atomic Z2 2nd stage and a Mares Viper MV octo, which I dove for an entire day while waiting for my FFM to come in after I ordered it.

I'd pick something that will hold up to abuse honestly. I'm not saying you're going to use your reg to bludgeon people with or hammer tent stakes into the ground when diving fresh water, but it's quite possible it will get scraped up on things during dives, etc. And get something you can get serviced fairly easily, either at your LDS or if you choose to do so and feel comfortable servicing yourself. If nothing else, get with your LDS and see if they can let you try a few different regs in the pool (assuming they have one) and see what feels best to you.

And just so it gets mentioned, the Hog D3 first stage with two Hog Zenith 2nd stages runs about $500-$550 and has a great swivel feature on the 1st stage.

I have multi-brand experience from buying, owning, and using Aqualung, Mares, Scubapro, and Deep6; but since Deep6 isn't on the poll and Deep6 is my current #1 recommendation (and I have voted with my $$, as I now have 3 Deep6 regulator sets), I guess I'm posting to support @tbone1004 's posts.

top tier regulator brands, but are missing Poseidon, Argonaut, and Deep 6.

They aren't "top tier."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom