Poll: What about diving do you enjoy most ?

What about diving you enjoy most ?

• Just being underwater

Votes: 41 47.7%
  • Seeing marine life

Votes: 34 39.5%
  • Exploring, wreck, cave, etc..

Votes: 11 12.8%
  • Using gear

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've done more than 600 dives in Boynton Beach, FL. You might think I'd seen nearly everything on the nearly 4 mile reef, far from it. Every dive is different, you never know what you're going to see. I've seen a pair of hammerheads swimming the opposite direction on the reef, I've seen a Manta Ray, Bull Sharks, Lemon Sharks, Sandbar Sharks, Reef Sharks. I've seen Green, Spotted, and Goldentail Morays on a single dive. I see Loggerhead, Hawksbill and Green Turtles frequently. I've see a few Ridleys and Leatherbacks. I see nearly all common Caribbean reef fish on every dive, Queen Triggerfish are still a surprise. Sometimes I dive the western facing inside reef. Sometimes I dive the deeper and more wild eastern facing outside reef. Often, I start on the outside and swim across the reef to the inside. I will never get tired of diving here, I love being underwater, by myself or with my family. You never know what you will see, all you have to do is look.

I put "Just being underwater". Right now because I am such a noob, every dive is such an amazing trip to me no matter where I am. Weather diving Innerkip with 5ft visibility and not seeing anything but green goo or Turks and Ciacos and seeing the amazing amount of sea life it doesn't matter. Being underwater, it is an almost complete separation from everything above. Sights and sounds are so different and special at the moment for me. I know eventually, with experience, I will end up looking for new experiences underwater but right now just being there is awesome.
I am an amateur photographer, and have some underwater gear so eventually sea life will probably become a focus.

Discovery. While I really enjoy photographing and sharing what our reefs have to offer, I get excited when we find something new. Sometimes it's just new to us but occasionally it's an important discovery. We've found nudibranchs that hadn't been seen in our area in decades including one that had never been found on the mainland. I still have been unable to identify a flatworm and an anemone in spite of searching books and the internet and asking several experts in the field.

Diving a reef or wreck for the first time is also a thrill. Only a handful of divers had been on the UB88 before I found it. They all kept it's location secret so it made my discovery all the better. When the conning tower first came into view I thought my mask would leak from my big smile.

Peace of mind. It is my zen moment.

Hauling tanks and lead weights...

Jim..

Interesting question. For me diving is like yoga for my brain, so peaceful but then conversely it's such a rush finding something new and unique. A frog fish on a rock you have circled many times, a 6 ft moray out feeding, a juvenile trunk fish for the first time, holding a shark upside down, a cleaning station, finding that 2nd seahorse, the excitement I see in my wife's eyes when the dive is over and we talk about what we found, the comraderie of other divers, the peace I feel when I take that 1st breath after not diving I am few months, the wonder and the beauty I find every dive, seeing life few will ever experience, hearing the sand as it clicks against itself. After almost 40 years of diving I still feel like a kid in a candy shop on every dive. I am so ready to go dive again (and I just got back 3 days ago from Bonaire) Bill

Critters, but I also like the bunnies in my yard.
Weightlessness is close second. I love doing back ward flips in slow motion.

I enjoy the solitude and the peacefulness. At the same time I love sharing it with my wife and our best friends. I love the challenge of being in an environment that forces you to think, plan, and execute. I love the challenge of diving, the looking for sea life. I love the look on my wife's face after a great dive.

Solitude and amazing marine life, followed by just being underwater (or in the water, when I'm snorkeling).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom