Question Poll: sidemount or backmount?

Transitioning from singles to doubles: sidemount or backmount?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive both, including a sidemount rebreather.

My answer will always be the same… backmount doubles.

If your legs can’t handle it (unless is it a medical issue), do strength training (which will help out regardless).

I have less than 1mm of tendon attached left in both knee caps (I can’t lift my feet up without grabbing them to put on fins)… never had an issue with backmount 130/104’s.

If you need a slimmer profile in the water, go sidemount (this can also be for streamlining for video, which is my preferred way of shooting video, in sidemount).

If you already have a BPW setup, the equipment purchase is minimal compared to more tanks, a harness/rig and reconfiguring every hose that attaches to a regulator.

Just get a 2nd first stage (presumably you already have a DIN setup), a doubles wing (~40lb for 7.25” tanks, ~60lb for 8” tanks), a second matched tank, bands and a manifold and you are good to go (equipment wise)

With sidemount, you will require a new rig, a second tank, change nearly every hose you have for a different length (SPG, bungied 2nd stage, inflator hoses) a 2nd first stage, and a 2nd SPG.

Backmount is easier, quicker and more efficient for getting in/out of the water. Every time I grab my doubles, I always have a feeling that I forgot something, as it is less things to bring, and faster to get diving.

Boats can be a challenge…. In doubles and sidemount. It takes some really good mentoring, and/or experimenting with how to maneuver with a very wide profile on a boat.

Every technical class I take, I always try to get a day off class from a boat… it brings on challenges and has conditions that are different otherwise than a shore/quarry/spring will have.

But, I also enjoy diving my sidemount CCR…. A lot!

_R

For someone with limited time, I think a transition to backmount doubles is the most effective use of it. They're almost the same procedurally, and time spent being proficient in one, to an extent improves the other.

SM. It adds being able to twist and turn your spine and neck to look all around naturally, instead of being strapped to a board. BM just adds more gas and redundancy. But it is more work.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom