Beginner questions!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

johnydive

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My buddy want to explore sidemount, here’s my really newbie questions…

Can I use hp100s steels?
Do you need training like TDI course or sidemount it’s self learning.
Is there a way I can reuse my halcyon backplate and just change the bladder for sidemount?
I guess hose are the same as for double except 2spg?

Thanks!

Yes to HP100 steels.

Probably yes to getting training. I strongly recommend that you take a class, but it's possible to learn SM via self-study or being mentored. I taught my buddy to SM, and he skipped straight to TDI Technical SM without taking the intro class. There's a good online source for self-study (I forget the name; it's been mentioned many times on SB, and odds are another responder will name it) that can help you get sorted out.

No to the backplate. The weight/buoyancy distribution is different for SM, and the techniques for keeping the tanks under control don't work particularly well with a BPW, so you'll want a dedicated BCD.

Sort of to the hoses. The hose geometry will be very different. I found it easier to get a second set of regulators than to keep swapping hoses every time I alternated between BM and SM.

Yes to HP100 steels.

Probably yes to getting training. I strongly recommend that you take a class, but it's possible to learn SM via self-study or being mentored. I taught my buddy to SM, and he skipped straight to TDI Technical SM without taking the intro class. There's a good online source for self-study (I forget the name; it's been mentioned many times on SB, and odds are another responder will name it) that can help you get sorted out.

No to the backplate. The weight/buoyancy distribution is different for SM, and the techniques for keeping the tanks under control don't work particularly well with a BPW, so you'll want a dedicated BCD.

Sort of to the hoses. The hose geometry will be very different. I found it easier to get a second set of regulators than to keep swapping hoses every time I alternated between BM and SM.
I'm already tec diver for doubles, can I skip to tech sidemount or recreational sidemount, is there a big difference in between the two courses?

I'm already tec diver for doubles, can I skip to tech sidemount or recreational sidemount, is there a big difference in between the two courses?

I would suggest you try learning by yourself first and dive with reliable buddy to see whether you are comfortable with your setup.
Try run some sidemount drills like switching reg and some manuver during the dive (See instructional video for more detail).
Maybe have your buddy record you doing the drill and review it post-dive (compare to the instructional video).
Maybe you can contact instructor that you're going to do tech sidemount showing your video doing drills and have them evaluate whether you need additional training.

I would suggest you try learning by yourself first and dive with reliable buddy to see whether you are comfortable with your setup.
Definitely agree with getting some easy dives in before doing anything technical. Diving sidemount isn't hard, but it does take some trial and error to get everything set up the way it needs to be. I would recommend this whether you take a class or learn on your own. I did take a sidemount class, and there was still a period of making adjustments to get everything sorted.

Maybe you can contact instructor that you're going to do tech sidemount showing your video doing drills and have them evaluate whether you need additional training.
Definitely agree with getting some easy dives in before doing anything technical. Diving sidemount isn't hard, but it does take some trial and error to get everything set up the way it needs to be. I would recommend this whether you take a class or learn on your own. I did take a sidemount class, and there was still a period of making adjustments to get everything sorted.
I think these two suggestions are excellent. You might be able to skip directly to technical SM, but the skillsets for SM are unique, and they take some getting used to, particularly if you're going to be removing and replacing multiple bottles. My instructor recommended getting 50 dives in before moving on from recreational SM. YMMV.

Here's another newbie question from a diver who has been at it for a year and has a whopping 24 dives. An employee at the local shop is a sidemount enthusiast. He seems to think everyone should use sidemounts. I'm skeptical, especially since there's little to no likelihood I'll do any tech diving and I'm still just learning to dive at all. Is it even worthwhile to learn sidemount techniques? I can see that it's another piece of knowledge that might have an application. I can also see how it might just be a source of confusion. Opinions?

Here's another newbie question from a diver who has been at it for a year and has a whopping 24 dives. An employee at the local shop is a sidemount enthusiast. He seems to think everyone should use sidemounts. I'm skeptical, especially since there's little to no likelihood I'll do any tech diving and I'm still just learning to dive at all. Is it even worthwhile to learn sidemount techniques? I can see that it's another piece of knowledge that might have an application. I can also see how it might just be a source of confusion. Opinions?
How old are you? If you’re diving at local inland locations, SM works well. If you have any history of leg/back issues, not having a tank on your back is lovely. I have bad knee issues and I’ve been doing SM for a number of years. I cave dive SM open circuit and SM my CCR bailout, but a pair of small LP50s are great for a local shallow lake dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom