Votes: 31 70.5%
  • "know it alls"

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • helpful

Votes: 22 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are always two sides to every story, MODs must take information that in many cases must be kept confidential and make decisions that are guaranteed to upset one side or the other in a conflict.

A certain amount of this happens but we generally don't get involved in mediating personal conflicts. There must be extenuating circumstances that are related to board usage, like stalking, for example. Like everything, however, mods are (believe it or not) just people and a certain amount of getting involved in the fray is inevitable. We do try to avoid getting in the middle of personal stuff, though.

Personal viewpoints/interpretations/experience/sensitivities and biases will naturally impact their decisions. Seems to me that discussions "in the backroom" also play a role in the decisions but one MOD winds up with their name attached to the "action" and wears the blame from those who disagree with the decision!
There is a loosely organized group process for this. It's not entirely based on consensus forming but reports are visible for all mods and we try not to take knee-jerk reactions to it. Ordinarily reports are left for a while while mods post their opinions on how to handle it. Eventually someone steps up to the plate to deal with the user directly and can end up taking the heat for it, but it's just part of the roll.

IMHO we have some absolutely fantastic MODs and some not so good ones but in the end we all cast our vote when we choose to participate in the forum.

Like any referee you don't always like the calls but the game would suffer without them. If any of you remember rec.scuba then you know what an unmoderated scuba forum will become....

R..

ErrorMessage.png

Thanks Pete, I really don't need to put anybody on ignore. I was just trying to make a point.
What would SB be without all the crap anyway. :wink:

thetechdiver.com ? :idk: :D

:rofl3:

Now that's just good comedy humor.

Low hanging curve ball :D

:popcorn: :rofl3: this thread's getting more interesting now!
Almost like being in the Pub :cheers:

Maybe you should try email or skype.
Totaly privat. No mods, just your local cops or feds or what ever.

Darn i even had to take you off ignore to repley to this, so don't worry I'll be reading your CRAP. But members will now know whats going on . [\quote]

D******* . . . . . I love that! :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

Last edited:
A certain amount of this happens but we generally don't get involved in mediating personal conflicts. There must be extenuating circumstances that are related to board usage, like stalking, for example. Like everything, however, mods are (believe it or not) just people and a certain amount of getting involved in the fray is inevitable. We do try to avoid getting in the middle of personal stuff, though.

There is a loosely organized group process for this. It's not entirely based on consensus forming but reports are visible for all mods and we try not to take knee-jerk reactions to it. Ordinarily reports are left for a while while mods post their opinions on how to handle it. Eventually someone steps up to the plate to deal with the user directly and can end up taking the heat for it, but it's just part of the roll.

Like any referee you don't always like the calls but the game would suffer without them. If any of you remember rec.scuba then you know what an unmoderated scuba forum will become....

R..

Thanks for the clarification.. kinda verifies my perception of how things work:blinking: I think poster's Personal viewpoints/interpretations/experience/sensitivities and biases will naturally impact their interpretation of MOD's actions/decisions as well.

We can all agree there are some people we get on with/agree with and some we don't.. human nature:)

IMHO 99% of people try to do their best to be fair. I would like to issue a challenge.... PM a MOD(s) you think is doing a good job and thank them for the time they spend on our behalf. Non of us would be posting here if the Mods weren't keeping Spammers at bay, soothing ruffled feathers, and making sure we follow forum guidelines and Tos.

I'm thinking that this thread (for the most part) is a thankyou to the MOD's

The MODS seem alright to me.

Mods seem ok to me, they're fairly tolerant of my antics on the boards but they seem to know where to draw the line, even if they don't know how to spell.

Well, not all of us are native English speakers, so please forgive us the spelling mistakes
:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Mania,

Anyone that can speak two or more languages should get a free pass on spelling. :wink: As long as I can sound it out or get the gist of the meaning without knowing the exact word, I don't feel like I can complain. I only speak one language and would be lost without spellcheck!

:kiss2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom