Question Poll: Mandatory Sidemount Certification?

Have you ever been required by a diving centre to have a sidemount certification?

• Yes, it was often mandatory.

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • Yes, but very seldom.

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Somehow, without cert a check dive was mandatory.

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Never.

Votes: 46 86.8%
  • All the sidemounters have a proper certification...

Votes: 2 3.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It seems like the surface faffing about is the bigger issue with sidemount. And where dive ops would want some assurance that the diver is not a hot mess. Not anything underwater.

But it seems too few (good) sidemount instructors exist that requiring certs is a problem. Though it could be more of a problem for the divers than the ops.

For shore diving, shops seem to assume I know what I'm doing when they see my sidemount tanks. The only class I've taken in them was a solo class, which was after I'd been practicing drills in their pool on my own each week for a couple of months. They did not ask about a card.

On safety, one of my more ironic experiences was going over rock-bottom-gas and out of air drills with divers I was sort of guiding. With me in sidemount, aking them how much gas they need at depth if I go out-of-air lead to interesting looks of how are you going to go out of air.

Is it now? Here we go again…
#1 if you screw it up and breathe a cylinder dry, you'll have another one
#2 if your 1st or 2nd stage fails, you can feather the valve - hence no less gas than in BM
#3 the valves are actually easy to reach

BM is geat in narrow spaces though, and SM in flat spaces.

What do you mean? To get a fill for SM tanks? No.

I’ve seen it required on:

a) dive boats for diving in SM.

b) When It’s required for related training (u need SM to do CCR SM or Tec SM configurations, etc.).

AND
c) most instructors I know will not allow you to take advanced classes in SM configuration unless you are certified in SM (Deep Dive, Wreck)- because in the prerequisites are “certified to the depth and conditions trained in” and you were not trained in SM for any depth or condition.
It depends on the instructor. I have done AN/DP in SM without being formally certified in SM. I will do SM CCR next and also will not require a formal SM certification

I've never told the boat I was going to sidemount, just did it. The only 'incident' I had was getting ready to jump in and the DM that went to check my tank before the water entry grabbed me and said 'hey, where's your tank!?' I pointed to the other side and jumped in.
Should have asked for his sidemount speciality card :)

Back mount doubles certification doesn't even exist, but somehow side mount should? I think from a safety stand point, doubles should require it more than side mount.

I have never been asked for a side mount cert and didn't get one issued until it was required to issue my SW cert. I certified through Hypoxic Trimix and Full Cave (using side mount) without a side mount certification.
Why do you think that a reasonably-sized BM double requires a specific certification?
When I started diving, doubles were the standard. So I was certified using a 10+10 liters twin tank.
When single tanks of reasonable size (15 liters) were made available, I abandoned the twin tank (well, I stll have them in my garage).
I think that my certification is stll valid...
I also used a side-mounted single for some narrow penetrations, and no one asked me for a specific certification.
Same for CC rebreathers: during my first OW course we mostly used a chest-mounted CC rebreather. No one ever asked me for a different certification for using rebreathers with different positioning...
A diver should be free to attach his tanks, or his rebreather, where he finds it suitable for the specific dive.
And to use one or more tanks, small or large, depending on his needs.

It depends on the instructor. I have done AN/DP in SM without being formally certified in SM. I will do SM CCR next and also will not require a formal SM certification
Which agency for CCR? TDI requires SM cert and 10 logged SM dives or something like that.

Why do you think that a reasonably-sized BM double requires a specific certification?
These days a reasonable ability to reach your valves is considered requisite.

These days a reasonable ability to reach your valves is considered requisite.
Hence, you need to certify reaching?

Back
Top Bottom