POLL: How many dives per year do you consider a minimum necessary for skills not to degrade?

How many dives per year do you consider a minimum necessary for skills not to degrade?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think it depends on what skills you are referring to? All skills like breathing without a mask or navigation will diminish over time if they are not practiced no matter how many dives you make. Mrs Flush and I decide in our dive planning what skill if any we are going to practice during/at the end of the dive.
In general terms I would think getting 12 dives in a year would keep your skills relatively fresh but that is all predicated on when those dives happen, how they are spaced, and if skills are practiced.

Thank you for your contribution.

A person’s comfort level with their own skills is not necessarily a good indication of their objective skill level. Having said that, I voted for 12, or the equivalent of two vacations spaced 6 months apart with 3 days of two tank diving each. Day 1 is refresher, day 2 is familiar, day 3 is to try something new.

Thank you for your contribution. The "day 1" concept of a refresher is particularly insightful! It would be particularly noticeable in those that only do a couple days of diving per year.

I couldn't vote. I think it depends on when in your dive "career". If you have dived regularly... say 50 to 100 dives a year in various sites for years and established your comfort /skill level a couple dives a year may be enough. If you only ever dive 4 dives a year you will probably never get there.

Thank you for your contribution. You're right... Being that there isn't a known set of dives to complete does make it harder to know if your skill level after the hiatus will vary. I believe it will and with greater experience, veteran divers might, as well. It's the beginner that is often fooled into believing that they are better than they are. The industry is definitely vague about the entire concepts of ongoing training and refresher courses...

Thank you for the questions... That really is the conundrum, isn't it? Skills that are used more often during dives do seem easier to retain however, ditching weights and doing an emergency buoyant ascent could likely be a fail in a true emergency. Even so, sloppy mask clearing doesn't have the same consequences that a sloppy emergency ascent do... Having difficulty answering the question illustrates the need for regular and consistent practice, utilization, and application of skills.

I hope that helps...

Sorry no it didn't help. I wouldn't go into the ocean if I thought that I didn't have the skill level required to execute the dive I was attempting. Which when it comes right down to it is the most important skill, that is knowing one limitations and abilities.

I'm off for a day of solo snorkeling and dive it's going be hot and muggy here today. I'll be in or underwater for the rest of the day. Going to pack the car now. Good luck with the survey!

As someone who took a 9 year break from diving, I think I was back "up to speed" on all the basic skills of diving after ~2 dives. That's not the same as being "back to fully comfortable in the water again", which probably didn't happen for another 10-15 dives. I think diving at least every other month (preferably monthly) is needed for me to avoid having overall comfort in the water deteriorate. My air consumption, for instance, has gone up when I took 4 months off of diving for the first dive or two before I get back in the swing of things. Diving every month, on the other hand, keeps it pretty constant for the same relative conditions.

Thank you for the contribution. Competence and confidence are incredibly intertwined. I agree, a couple of dives will bring the skills usage back but it definitely will take more dives to regain previous confidences. On that note, I often ask others which is more important. I've seen divers that struggle with a task but stay calm, complete it underwater and minimize risk to self and others because of confidence. I've also seen divers that can repeat a skill numerous times efficiently but are incredibly uncomfortable (perhaps scared) doing it. Which diver would you want as a dive buddy in a crisis situation?

For warm clear water, 1 or 2 dives after a break of even 2-4 years seems to be enough for me to regain comfort in the water, and confidence in my gear. The first dozen or so dives after such a break I am definitely border line hyper vigilant. The more taxing the conditions the more dives it would take to regainconfidence/comfort.

Thank you for your insight and contribution.

Well, I voted 8.
I have 250 dives over 20 years. So not much more than ten in an average year. I try not to let more than 5-6 months elapse between dives, just so it stays familiar, but seldom enough that even "average' dives at a familiar locale are still a treat I have never gotten tired of. Of course I dived more frequently in the beginning, and was grateful for good instruction from the outset.
Some people dive a lot lot lot initially, and maybe move up into deep stuff, exotic location stuff, or tech. But some of them burn out (or spend out, or marry and have kids out, or move away from water out, or just lose the thrill) and don't dive thereafter. I'm in sort of a happy medium (or happy minimum??)--three hour drive to the east for a Gulf dive around Pensacola, six hours west for a Flower Gardens trip, 11 hours east for Jupiter and WPB while staying with friends.

Well, I voted 8.
I have 250 dives over 20 years. So not much more than ten in an average year. I try not to let more than 5-6 months elapse between dives, just so it stays familiar, but seldom enough that even "average' dives at a familiar locale are still a treat I have never gotten tired of. Of course I dived more frequently in the beginning, and was grateful for good instruction from the outset.
Some people dive a lot lot lot initially, and maybe move up into deep stuff, exotic location stuff, or tech. But some of them burn out (or spend out, or marry and have kids out, or move away from water out, or just lose the thrill) and don't dive thereafter. I'm in sort of a happy medium (or happy minimum??)--three hour drive to the east for a Gulf dive around Pensacola, six hours west for a Flower Gardens trip, 11 hours east for Jupiter and WPB while staying with friends.

Thank you for your contribution. Your insight into the reality of the real diver over the years I think is accurate. 10 dives a year is less than a dive a month.

I think if everyone simply read into the survey question, "for the type of diving I do," a response may have come easier for each individual. I read it as if I were in the Caribbean doing a boat dive with great conditions and good gear instead of "I'm being led through a tunnel and I can't see because of all the sand that was kicked up, now what?" or "my dive guide left me but told me to go with the current and keep the reef on my right - he'll pick me up where he thinks I'm coming up, but the viz is crappy and I don't have an smb, now what?" or "I've got a free flow in my bcd power inflator, now what?" Those things may have stressed me out a little, but I didn't panic

I, like some others, didn't dive for a long period of time - 7 years after doing only my 4 OW check out dives. When I knew I was going to dive again the only thing I was concerned about was the "skill" of not holding my breath. Today, I feel that if I were away from diving for a long period of time and then decided to dive again, that I could easily enter the water in the Caribbean doing a boat dive with great conditions and good gear and still possess the skills I needed to make a successful dive. I selected 4 dives on the survey.

@diverintheflesh :
So, why do you ask?

I don't really need to know, but am curious.
Your blocked profile offers no hints and I am a little bit worried if filling the poll might somehow in some way contribute to some sort of harder guidline for refresher courses... which is not necessarily what I would want to contribute to. To be clear, I am not stipulating or insinuating that. Just explaining one of several reasons why I ask: "why do you ask?".

Anyway, many other replies already do point out that, as so often, "that depends" is the only correct reply...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom