PMs CENSORED ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This board is a private forum (well maybe not private, but it requires membership in order to participate, free or not). It is open to the public for anyone to join, but in the act of joining you are accepting a set of rules and guidelines as mandated by the operators of the board.

If you want to use the board, you must adhere to the rules and guidelines set by the board. If you don't like it here, nobody is making you use this board (you could always just browse as a guest and not participate by signing on as a member). As stated elsewhere in this thread, there are other SCUBA related boards that have a different set of rules laid out for their members.

Now if the problem is technical (where v-bulletin can only apply filters everywhere or nowhere), then I suggest the nice people at vbulletin.com be contacted and suggest that these changes be made to the next release of their software. Who knows, the feature might even be in the current version just not obvious (I am a developer and believe me, certain things go into a release that aren't active upon initial release, however a 'patch' is release to turn them on after further testing).

For the very curious, an online manual for vbulletin can be found here.

This is a private board. So the owners of it can set up rules they want. We are here - maybe not guests but certainly they are the hosts so we should obey their rules. For me it's as simple as that.
On the other hand - don't fool yourself that children don't know these words. All children I ever met do know them - from playground, school, etc. I'm pretty sure that when they are reading something like "s***" - they very well know what letters are behind the stars. That's the reality whether we like it or not.
Mania
PS. BTW instead of yousing SB PM you can always ask for any other private mail and then write what you want in the way you want.

Really? This board censors naughty words?

Heehee, it does! Oh the little things that amuse me.

mania:
This is a private board. So the owners of it can set up rules they want. We are here - maybe not guests but certainly they are the hosts so we should obey their rules. For me it's as simple as that.
On the other hand - don't fool yourself that children don't know these words. All children I ever met do know them - from playground, school, etc. I'm pretty sure that when they are reading something like "s***" - they very well know what letters are behind the stars. That's the reality whether we like it or not.
Mania
PS. BTW instead of yousing SB PM you can always ask for any other private mail and then write what you want in the way you want.

v_1matst & Mania I think every one is agreed that we must accept the rules no question about that. The debate now seems to be 1/ is it unreasonable to ask PMs to be left uncensored. 2/ Are people that don't use words like s*** being reasonable telling others that they should not be allowed to use it in a PM, not taking into account what the rules say.

mania:
Mania
sdrawkcab ti gnitirw yb ssuc nac uoy rO
Or you can cuss by writing it backwards :eyebrow:

Windwalker:
sdrawkcab ti gnitirw yb ssuc nac uoy rO
Or you can cuss by writing it backwards :eyebrow:

!sdnah rieht no emit hcum ot yaw sah enoemoS

cdiver2:
v_1matst & Mania I think every one is agreed that we must accept the rules no question about that. The debate now seems to be 1/ is it unreasonable to ask PMs to be left uncensored. 2/ Are people that don't use words like s*** being reasonable telling others that they should not be allowed to use it in a PM, not taking into account what the rules say.
OK, here's the problem with PMs being uncensored. PMs can be unsolicited. It's not like when you want to initiate communication with someone through email. In that case, both parties exchange contact information because It's required (both parties need the others email address). Here, you can send a PM to -anybody- whether they want it or not. This makes it a lot like an instant messaging application where everyones contact info is out in the open and unsolicited contact can be made (I know this is the case with email as well in regards to SPAM but I think we know that's not what we're talking about). Anyway, no it is not unreasonable to ask for PMs to be uncensored, but it is also reasonable for the admins to say no.

As for the second item, I pay no attention to people who try to push their views on me. When the rules don't apply it is just an opinion and just like something else, everyone's got one. It's reasonable for them to tell anyone anything, what's unreasonable is them expecting people to listen. Again, it all comes down to the rules.

James Goddard:
ouya ancay lsoay usscay niay igpay attinlay.
Iay asn'tway oinggay ootay entionmay isthay optionay.

Back
Top Bottom