Plus (+) Hydro for LP72 near Michigan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tmassey

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My FLDS told me that after the factory hydro it was not possible to get a + rating on LP steel tanks. However, in further research (including info on SB), I have found that you *can* get a + hydro if you use the right hydro place--and that it's the exact same test, no less! I want my extra 10%! :)

After calling around to a few places locally (mainly fire extinguisher places) to find someone that would do a + hydro, I have struck out. So, I'm hoping that someone out here would know of a place that would do it. I live in the Metro Detroit area, but end up as far as Chicago or Cleveland from time to time. But at this point, I'd be interested in anywhere in the US that does + hydros on LP steel tanks!

Thank you very much for any info you can give me!

Yes, you can get a '+' hydro at any age. I bought a mid-60's LP 72 and when I got it hydro'd it came back with '+'.

The problem is that many hydro shops don't have the REE number for the specific tank, don't want to be bothered looking it up, expect it to be stamped on the tank and/or the manufacturer (eg PST) is out of business. In fact, this is the entire problem. Any tank with a stamped REE number is a piece of cake.

Search this forum for REE number. Somewhere there is a link to a PST document with the REE number for their LP 72s.

If your tank is by another manufacturer, see if they are still in business and, if so, try to get the REE number on their letterhead.

Dolphin Scuba in Sacramento was able to get their (subcontracted) hydro shop to '+' rate my tank. Dolphin Scuba Center - Scuba Sales, Trips, Service, and Education.

Aqutic Dreams in Modesto, CA has some VERY knowledgeable people and they ARE a hydro facility
Central California's Premier Scuba Center

Richard

The PST Ree are listed here

Manufacturers' Documents

So far no one has been able to come up with an official document for Norris or Walter Kidde but the REE for any old steel 72 should be the same for any manufacturer since they were all built to the same 3AA specifications.

Thank you both for the information. It seems that chasing down REE numbers is *not* easy... First, I have to figure out who made these tanks! :(

Both have identical DOT lines: DOT3AA2250. The second line on one is HJ 302938, which I believe is a Norris Industries tank (HJ) plus serial number. The third line is, I believe the initial hydro (2 n-inside-a-diamond 73+), and the fourth line is another hydro (9 F-inside-a-D 80).

In another section are four more lines: line one is HV (I do not know what that means), line two is 7 F-inside-a-D 84 (another hydro, I assume), line three is the current hydro, and below this is PTWY (which I also do not know what it means).

The other tank has the same DOT line, then 74-29609 (which I assume is some sort of manufacturer and serial number, but I have found nothing about this), then VOIT, then 3C74+PST (the initial hydro), then 4 F-inside-a-D 79 (another hydro, I assume). Does the "PST" mean it's a Pressed Steel Tank Co. tank? Next to this are two other hydros, including the current one.

I *just* had these tanks hydroed (as in I just picked them up Monday!). If that tank is indeed a PST, and I do have the REE number, and if the test passed with the proper REE, would it be reasonable to ask them to put the plus on without re-hydroing it?

In any case, thank you very much for your help. Hopefully, I'm a little closer to my extra 10% of air! :)

Thank you both for the information. It seems that chasing down REE numbers is *not* easy... First, I have to figure out who made these tanks! :(

Both have identical DOT lines: DOT3AA2250. The second line on one is HJ 302938, which I believe is a Norris Industries tank (HJ) plus serial number. The third line is, I believe the initial hydro (2 n-inside-a-diamond 73+), and the fourth line is another hydro (9 F-inside-a-D 80).

In another section are four more lines: line one is HV (I do not know what that means), line two is 7 F-inside-a-D 84 (another hydro, I assume), line three is the current hydro, and below this is PTWY (which I also do not know what it means).

The other tank has the same DOT line, then 74-29609 (which I assume is some sort of manufacturer and serial number, but I have found nothing about this), then VOIT, then 3C74+PST (the initial hydro), then 4 F-inside-a-D 79 (another hydro, I assume). Does the "PST" mean it's a Pressed Steel Tank Co. tank? Next to this are two other hydros, including the current one.

I *just* had these tanks hydroed (as in I just picked them up Monday!). If that tank is indeed a PST, and I do have the REE number, and if the test passed with the proper REE, would it be reasonable to ask them to put the plus on without re-hydroing it?

In any case, thank you very much for your help. Hopefully, I'm a little closer to my extra 10% of air! :)

One is a Norris and one is a PST.

It is reasonable to ask, just bring a copy of the ctc document. Whether they will agree to plus rate it with or without a retest is another question. There is a lot of ignorance and misconception about tank testing even by supposed professionals in the business as shown by what your FLDS told you.

Just ask for the hydro data on your PST cylinder. If the EE (elastic expansion) is less than the REE of 58.4, then your cylinder qualifies for the "+" rating. Whether the tester will stamp it is a-whole-nother issue.

The PST Ree are listed here

Manufacturers' Documents

So far no one has been able to come up with an official document for Norris or Walter Kidde but the REE for any old steel 72 should be the same for any manufacturer since they were all built to the same 3AA specifications.

Captain, the document listed on that site says it is page 1 of 2. Do you know if the other page is available?

Also, do you know if anyone has a list of the REE values for PST's LP104's?

Captain, the document listed on that site says it is page 1 of 2. Do you know if the other page is available?

Also, do you know if anyone has a list of the REE values for PST's LP104's?

I don't know about the second page or other PST REE's

The owner of CTC seminars was on the forum last year and he is th one who dug up the PST info. He was invited here by someone to settle some issues about tank testing.

You might try and contacting him through his company.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom