Please suggest diving book

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DORSETBOY:
as usefel as a chocolate fireguard!

Now there's one I've never heard before...love it

I am also a READER.

See if you can purchase the study kits for the classes you want to take.

Also check out the DAN website. They have a lot of books. I just ordered the "Scuba Divers Sign Language Manual" and their waterproof "First Aid Pocket Guide". You may also be able to get material for CPR / First AID to self study what you can for that.

Mark

Daryl Morse:
Thanks for the replies.

As far as books for interest's sake go, one book I read is Fatal Depth, which is about the deaths that occurred diving the Andrea Doria.

I'm looking more for reference books. I want to learn about diving techniques, physics, dive planning, and decompression, even if I won't be doing deco diving any time soon.

I saw two votes for the Fundamentals of Better Diving. I guess that's gotta be on the list, even if I don't end diving DIR.

I also saw a vote for the NOAA manual. I looked on the NOAA website. This book is almost 700 pages long. It has sections on physics of diving, diving physiology, nitrox diving, decompression diving and dive planning, but there are a number of topics such as diving polluted waters that aren't of much interest to me. Are there any other books that cover these topics or is this book the best "one-stop-shop"?

I looked on scubadivingbooks.com and noticed a few interesting looking books. Anyone read any of these:

• Essentials of Deeper Sport Diving, by John Lippmann : Reviews on Amazon were that it's a good book, but dated. (1992)

• Deep Diving, Revised: An Advanced Guide to Physiology, Procedures and Systems, by Bret Gilliam : No reviews. (1995)

• The Technical Diving Handbook, by Gary Gentile : There was one review that said it was a bad book. (1998)

IMHO you can't go wrong with The Technical Diving Handbook, the man literaly wrote the book on tech diving, although nowadays, many dismiss his accomplishments.

I read several on holiday this year.

Neutral Buoyancy i found mainly rambling and not particulary great.

Shadow Divers i thought excellent as was "Into the Abyss" by Ron MacDonald.

headhunter:
Read the Navy Dive Manual.

I tossed a zipped copy of it on my website. It's about 9MB, but it's free and talks about all sorts of different diving issues.

Anybody who wants to read it can go to the URL below and click on the link. It will ask you if you want to save the file. Just save it where you want it on your hard drive.

http://nativecreative.com/navy/

Inside the zip file there is an executable file (.exe) that installs an entire set of pdf files with a Table of contents that leads to each one. You access it by going to Start > Programs > Navy > Navy Manual

It is definitely reference material. It does not read like a novel. But it is definitely educational.

Enjoy!

Christian
Thanks-- This is very informative

The Technical Diving Handbook by Gary Gentile isn't an exiting read but it's very informative. The Last Dive is a great book that isn't just a story but it talks a lot about the mechanics of tech diving. Last but not least you can't lose with Shadow divers. It's a "can't put it down" kind of read... Enjoy.

Did anyone mention the Encylopedia of Recreational Diving? I also enjoyed Rapture of the Deep and Other Dive Stories You Probably Shouldn't Know.

Just finished Shadow Divers, great book, fun read.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom