Please stop feeding the sharks at half moon caye

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did you have a Gopro on a stick? Might that be mistaken for a lion fish spear?

Interesting

sharks

Attachments

• sharks.jpg
    sharks.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 356
Aw, c'mon. Share. What'd you think of the place? Brad, Marcel, John and Daniel still there? Food? Accommodations? Did you tip the janitor?

Please include some top side stuff, but watching you bash a shark should be pretty entertaining, too.

Diving (B) lionfish have devastated the place, but the big stuff helps make up for it
Food (C) lowest feature of the trip
Accommodations (B) villas are nice
Staff (A) new managers are doing their best, old staff are good eggs

We didn't tip the janitor, nor the lawnmower guy or the diesel mechanic...

Daniel is still there, and a good DM to dive with, John is still there and still refuses to get wet, Marcel is there, not sure who Brad is.

Did go on a lionfish hunt with the new manager Tom and about 8 locals, which was a blast, and we brought back about 120 in 50 minutes.

TIR is a nice place, not sure I'd go back, too many other places to go see in the world still

That's cuz you were wearing a shortie & showing to much skin------switch to full skins & you'll be OK next time....:)

EDIT...:......see not even Tiger's bother you if you're decked out all in black...
13647034524_6d8230b233_o.jpg
[/URL]14 ft. Tiger shark...Beqa Lagoon, Fiji by GEAUXtiger, on Flickr[/IMG]

Had a pretty nerve racking experience with two sharks on the wall at half moon caye, had to bash one repeatedly in the head with my camera rig to defend myself and drive it off. It's painfully obvious that someone is feeding the sharks there based on their behavior. Somebody is going to get hurt.
Were they hanging around other people, or just you? My husband once beat off a shark with his camera and thinks the (2 different) strobes were electrically interesting to it. They weren't coming so close to anyone else.

My husband once beat off a shark ....

:doctor: Got pix of that? :eyebrow:

Must have been years ago with a real camera like a Nikonos.
Cameras they have today~ a real Shark woulda' just et em.

The place always has new managers. The owner changes managers like we change our shorts. Good thing the staff already knows what they're doing and needs very little guidance from the managers.

Brad would be the other half of the dive team with Marcel. Sounds like you dove with Daniel and John.

I'm surprised you gave a C to the food. I put on weight both times I went.

Yeah, the food kind of caught me by surprise, since the consensus seems to be that the food it quite good. I wonder if things have changed regarding the food? The new managers coming in might have something to do with, also that they are pescetarians might be a factor?

There were no meal choices at dinner or lunch, the menu was fixed with one selection only, and sea food was mostly the meal. One highly unmemorable meal was a lunch where the menu was conch soup, another lunch was cheeseburgers but at least 3 different people asked what the meat was or what was mixed in with it, it was to say the least a very curious burger whatever it was.

The two managers advice who we sat with most meals was you squeeze limes, add salt and add your choice of hot sauce to everything served, (not really a great affirmation of the food). The deserts were good and the friday night barbecue was a welcome respite from the typical meals. TIR has an experienced local cook in the kitchen, but certainly not a chef. The good company and lively conversation made up for the food at dinner, but the food for me was nothing to write home about.

I don't want to sound negative, because TIR is a lovely place to go and dive at, but I don't think there were many of us during our stay who were particularly raving about the meals, it seemed to be a bit of the opposite, a bit of disappointment all around.

Last edited:
:doctor: Got pix of that? :eyebrow:

Must have been years ago with a real camera like a Nikonos.
Cameras they have today~ a real Shark woulda' just et em.
here he is coming in for a second whiff of Nikonos V. (I'm the person behind the boat with the fins, demonstrating how "you only need to swim faster than your buddy")
OceanicWhiteTipWBoatKona.jpg

Back
Top Bottom