Please stop feeding the sharks at half moon caye

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Had a pretty nerve racking experience with two sharks on the wall at half moon caye, had to bash one repeatedly in the head with my camera rig to defend myself and drive it off. It's painfully obvious that someone is feeding the sharks there based on their behavior. Somebody is going to get hurt.

"Please stop feeding the sharks at half moon caye"

Well, glad that's settled.
If it were only that easy!

Too bad "there is no science" showing that feeding sharks negatively affects their behavior.

You will probably have a lot more people here on SB defending their friend's right to make a buck or their desire to get closer photographs then the well being of the shark or other divers not on these dives.

I've never seen anyone feeding the sharks at Half Moon Caye.

But..welcome back and where's our trip report? :deal:

They're looking for lion fish kabobs.

I hope you had the video on while bashing away. Standard internet rules apply: Pics or it didn't happen!

That was it.

Aw, c'mon. Share. What'd you think of the place? Brad, Marcel, John and Daniel still there? Food? Accommodations? Did you tip the janitor?

Video to follow.

Please include some top side stuff, but watching you bash a shark should be pretty entertaining, too.

This does raise an interesting question, though size & species of sharks in question would be useful to know.

Are people aware of sharks in areas where they have not been fed by humans accosting people as was done to Mike?

I wonder whether this behavior ever arises from exposure to spear fishing and/or lion fish hunts?

It sounds odd and alarming, and I, too, find that 'sharks conditioned by human feeding' is what leaps to mind, but in the interest of being objective, what's our reasonable confidence level that's the case?

Richard.

I haven't seen the reef sharks at Halfmoon Caye wall be fed either but it seemed to me they were licking their lips in anticipation, especially a few weeks back. I found myself doing some slalom through the corals to get distance from the one that likes me best. My advice is keep your fingers tucked up under your armpits.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom