Please stop feeding the sharks at half moon caye

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sharks know what food is and what isn’t. They also don’t go where the food isn’t. Other than that, they are just curious. I would bet that sharks don’t even like the taste of fatty humans considering they typically take only one bite that is rarely fatal.

Not to nit pik, but you just contradicted yourself. If sharks "know what food is", why would they take an experimental bite out of something that tastes bad….like some fear stricken diver who wishes he hadn't fed the sharks? :D

Last edited:
I would bet that sharks don’t even like the taste of fatty humans considering they typically take only one bite that is rarely fatal.

I guess this means we're one of the few animals in the world that don't taste like fish or chicken, lol.

Tiger sharks really know their food. Toilet seats, tires, plastic bottles…….:D

Not to nit pik, but you just contradicted yourself. If sharks "know what food is", why would they take an experimental bite out of something that tastes bad….like some fear stricken diver who wishes he hadn't fed the sharks? :D

There is no contradiction and who said anything about an experimental?

If you think for a second that a shark in frenzy can differentiate between a Seal and a Diver wearing a black neoprene wetsuit with fins you are sadly mistaken. If a shark bites into a seal he will continue to eat the seal. If a shark mistakes a diver for a seal and bites into the diver, the shark typically won’t come back for seconds. This is why there are so few fatalities.

I personally agree that no one should feed wild animals. With that said…if a shark comes into your bubble, I personally think it is foolish to assume it was fed by humans simply because it may be too close for comfort for some.

I can't believe that Mike hasn't risen to the bait. I thought Mike was fearless!

Video of the encounter

Caribbean Reef sharks? Carcharhinus perezi? Looks like.

The most aggressive sharks I ever encountered….and it hasn't really been many other than ones that stole a fish from my spear…..were some small versions of these. Three of them, only about 2-3 feet long and they started flanking me. The kept about 4-5 feet away. I finally poked one with my spear tip….and it was like hitting a leather bag full of wet sand. He swam off about 15 feet, turned and came right back. Real attitude and just little ones. Finally they left.

As seen on Half Moon Caye
y3utazy2.jpg

That's interesting. More evidence that people are feeding the sharks there if they had to post that.

I actually purposely took that picture when I saw the sign on the outside wall of I think the rangers station on Half Moon Caye.

I had seen and read this thread before I left on my trip. Before I saw this sign and the ranger explained the meaning, it had not been impressed upon me why it was a big deal.

The DM's did brief us on the Half Moon Wall Caye dive that Caribbean Reef Sharks would swim between us and close, looking for hand outs, because they used to be feed on a regular basis by former DM's.

So when I saw the sign during our SI and lunch break, I had to take the picture, so I could post it here, because it all makes sense now.

This gal was only 3 feet away when I took it... Good to have an 8" dome port to act as a shield if I needed it.
utypaduz.jpg

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom