Please Help! Should he fly?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've never heard of DAN turning away a consultation for any reason. Please keep us posted. Our best wishes and intentions go with you both.

H2Andy:
not sure what you mean

but DAN's emergency number is meant to coordinate services for members, not to provide medical advice

you need to call the non-emergency lines for that

Im just flabbergasted (word of the day) that DAN would refuse to answer a divers medical questions b/c they are not a member....We're not taking a request for an emergency MEDVAC here, just advise!!

well, i could be wrong

let's not jump to conclusions or anything, and see what happens

but DAN's emergency number is meant to coordinate services for members, not to provide medical advice

you need to call the non-emergency lines for that
Nope, I am on the phone with them now. 800-446-2671, option 1 for dive emergencies

memaru:
Thank you. Maybe I just caught someone having a bad day or something... I will have to try again...
That is not an option, not allowed. They are medical professionals at Duke Univ.

DandyDon:
Nope, I am on the phone with them now. 800-446-2671, option 1 for dive emergencies

clearly, Don ...

i was suggesting they NOT try the emergency option but the non-emergency option, as i believe that is where non-members can have their questions asked

[edit] actually ... never mind that ... the non-emergency line doesn't function after business hours

DandyDon:
They are medical professionals at Duke Univ.

yes, but it goes through an operator/phone person first, and they may make a mistake or misunderstand or whatever

it helps to call again just to make sure, maybe ask to speak with a different person

Ok, I just spoke with Laurie the emergency technician on duty at the number I gave above, and she has not had a call in hours. Something is wrong here....??????

She assured me that you do not have to be a member to call for advice.

well, Don, the people that field the calls are medic-basics, unless I am wrong. thats 6 weeks or less of education, UNLESS I am wrong... I know they use an algorithm that has higher ups when the answers kick it in. An emergency tech is just that..a "tech".

anyway...that's what I was told. You all do talk about DAN like God himself answers the phone. It might take a few minutes to get the big kahuna on the line. I gauge the advice by how long it took to get them on the phone, usually.

catherine96821:
well, Don, the people that field the calls are medic-basics, unless I am wrong. thats 6 weeks or less of education, UNLESS I am wrong... I know they use an algorithm that has higher ups when the answers kick it in.

anyway...that's what I was told.
Certainly could be true, but they cannot refuse to consult just becuase of lack of membership.

Back
Top Bottom