Please Help! Should he fly?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maria...that's great.

Best wishes and tell him to be conservative for awhile.

I guess moral of the story is always be persistent untill you get past the first "layer"...anywhere.

Another closely related favorite is "Never accept a "no" from someone not qualified to give a "yes".

Glad everything worked out for all involved but

I am not liking this phone number deal....of course we do have DAN as a member of scubaboard maybe some of this thread should be moved to their
forum....

http://www.scubaboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=498

but of couse in this situation calling was best....I know Don is on top of this and I am grateful he has sunk his teeth into it for everyones best intrest....

parrotheaddiver:
Glad everything worked out for all involved but

I am not liking this phone number deal....of course we do have DAN as a member of scubaboard maybe some of this thread should be moved to their
forum....

http://www.scubaboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=498

but of couse in this situation calling was best....I know Don is on top of this and I am grateful he has sunk his teeth into it for everyones best intrest....
:lol2: Thanks.

Marty just called from DAN in response to my email. He said there had been a problem with that number, but he thought they had it fixed. I suggested he test dial all those numbers, and he agreed - as well as promised to call me back. I'll let you know what I learn.

I am still wondering who Maria spoke with who would not help her, or if that was the bad number she called. This is our secondary 911 - we don't want to ever let those calls go bad.

Edit: Just test called. The bad number is working now.

DandyDon:
There is nothing remotely comforting about that as I am not injured now. Would be nice to know it's up all of the time and not only after you make contact to tell them it's busted.

Nice work though Don.

Chris

DandyDon:
:lol2:

Don did you ever get a call back from "Marty" at DAN??? or did you just test the ph#...this is still disturbing to me....at anytime these numbers can just go "bad" not very reissuring I hope DAN is paying attention here...Thanks for your follow through and follow up Don...

parrotheaddiver:
Don did you ever get a call back from "Marty" at DAN??? or did you just test the ph#...this is still disturbing to me....at anytime these numbers can just go "bad" not very reissuring I hope DAN is paying attention here...Thanks for your follow through and follow up Don...
No, I haven't received the follow-up call from Marty yet - maybe today. I just test dialed the number later.

I certainly share your concern. As I told Marty, that number is on my Dan card - and I guess it's on my Dan BC card, too. If I am injured, perhaps not up to playing phone search, I need to know that number works.

Most people have free long distance on their cell phones or home plans. Perhaps more ppl should do the test calls, over the next few weeks...?

I'll look at the Dan forum later and see if there's anything on this, maybe start a thread there and link it here...?

Well, I already did and referenced this thread....but I guess the folks from DAN that monitor this board are not up yet....will be interesting to see how all this plays out...yeah I don't want to be somewhere especially out of the country trying to play what is the correct number for myself or someone else

Here it is http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=175056

I don't like the fact that the DAN forum is under Basic Scuba Discussions and shows as a sub forum...but I guess they didn't know where else to stick it....but it does not stand out on this board

Ok, Marty just called again. Guess he needed the time for a complete investigation.

Perhaps I misunderstood yesterday, as he says they have not had a problem like this before. He added the only way for them to learn for something like this is for us to report it.

I mentioned the thread in the Dan forum, and he said that someone there was preparing a statement.

Thanks to everyone for encouraging Maria to call DAN, and we’re glad we were able to help.

There are couple of items that seem to be outstanding, and we wanted to ensure all of you got resolution, too…

As soon as we were alerted to the issue with our collect emergency number, we were able to find and fix the problem. To our knowledge, there has not been another instance as the problem the other day, but we’ll keep an eye on it to make sure it was a single anomaly. Thanks to you, too, for alerting us to the problem; though we have checks and balances in place to keep our emergency systems running smoothly, it’s important to let us know if ever you have a problem. We welcome feedback; don’t hesitate to call us.

On another front, there was a question posted earlier about the order in which calls are addressed, or how they’re prioritized. One contributor referred to the use of algorithms when managing in-coming calls. These are formal protocols that assist Emergency Medical Dispatchers in most EMS systems to prioritize calls to effectively manage available and appropriate resources. These protocols are essential for that environment. They do not apply to the DAN environment. The staff at the Duke Call Center does not prioritize in-coming calls. They transfer the call to the DAN on-call medical staff. The calls are answered in order and transferred to qualified personnel. This system has served DAN and the diving community effectively for more than twenty years.

Again, thanks to all for your active participation in this, and thanks for your support of DAN!

Maria,
Maybe after your Fiancee get's back home you can trouble him for the whole story.... I think there are still more lessons to be learned...

Oh don't forget to sign up for DAN...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom