Please give advice to new diver on gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

305scuba

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I just got certified in June and have been on about 10 dives, ranging from 40 to 90 feet. Mostly drift and wreck dives in the South Florida area. I think I'm hooked, and since it looks live I"ll be doing 2-6 dives a month, I've decided to buy my own gear. I'd appreciate any comments on the following gear, and welcome any recommendations on gear just as good, but a little less expensive. I wanted to budget $1000 for a bcd, reg and computer, but the items I'm looking at price out to about $1500:

BCD: Zeagle Zena (about $450)

Computer: Ocean Pro Plus 2 (about $640) (I want it to be easy to use, but nitrox compatible)

Reg: Aqualung micron (about $410)
or Mares She Dives Proton 42 (much more $$)

In a reg, I'm looking for a sturdy, yet lightweight reg to decrease jaw fatigue. Is there anything to the sales pitch of regs geared toward women, or is it really just a matter of ease of air flow?

Thanks in advance for your advice!! :D

as for the zena ..imho zeagle makes a rock solid product i'm on my 2nd ranger this time an ltd anyway using a custom mouthpiece will help with some jaw problems ..i use "seacure" as for the regs both company's make good gear ..but i own neither so other owners will help you with them ..good luck ..have fun..be safe ..

I've decided to buy my own gear. I'd appreciate any comments on the following gear, and welcome any recommendations on gear just as good, but a little less expensive. I wanted to budget $1000 for a bcd, reg and computer, but the items I'm looking at price out to about $1500:BCD: Zeagle Zena (about $450)
Excellent BCD. Not inexpensive, but a great piece of gear. Do you REALLY want integrated weights?
Computer: Ocean Pro Plus 2 (about $640) (I want it to be easy to use, but nitrox compatible)
Unecessary, and too expensive. If you are $500 over budget, ditch this item. Get a good dive watch, or a cheaper (used) two gas computer.
Reg: Aqualung micron (about $410) or Mares She Dives Proton 42 (much more $$)
Aqualung is a good reg. A little pricey for plain warm water diving, but a good piece of equipment. I wouldn't go with Mares.
In a reg, I'm looking for a sturdy, yet lightweight reg to decrease jaw fatigue. Is there anything to the sales pitch of regs geared toward women, or is it really just a matter of ease of air flow?
No, not really - as far as gender-oriented second stages. Air flow is a more germane issue. Second stages are - for the most part - simply not that heavy in the water. The mouthpiece makes a MUCH bigger difference in jaw fatigue. Put a Comfo-Bite mouthpiece on whatever you buy.

Atomic Aquatics Z2 regulator is around low $400. Lightweight second stage and superlative breathability.

I'd recommend a Dive Rite backplate/wing setup. If shopped right, they should be around $400-something for the rig. Dive Rite is in Florida so they may know a thing or two about Florida specific diving when they make their gears.

The mouthpiece makes a MUCH bigger difference in jaw fatigue. Put a Comfo-Bite mouthpiece on whatever you buy.

The main thing that causes jaw fatigue in new divers is tension - biting on the mouthpiece in a clenched jaw with a death-grip! With experience you'll find that it won't just fall out of your mouth and you'll "loosen up" a bit.

:blinking:

Also, I think the Micron comes on a Miflex hose, which will also help reduce jaw fatigue as the greater flexibility means that the reg doesn't "pull" as much as you dive.

The main thing that causes jaw fatigue in new divers is tension - biting on the mouthpiece in a clenched jaw with a death-grip! With experience you'll find that it won't just fall out of your mouth and you'll "loosen up" a bit.
A VERY good point!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom