Please get in shape!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great discussion! You know what? I was pretty fat and out of shape cardio-wise and I didn't care too much until I started diving. Then I started thinking how great diving is and how it would be good if my air could last longer and my wetsuit fit a little better. I've been able to achieve those two goals running a couple miles three to four times a week. Then the doc told me my cholesterol and blood pressure were down, and I realized I'll be able to enjoy a longer life with more years of diving if I keep it up! I guess I've lost about 10 lbs. is all, and I still look kinda chubby, but I'm happy. I figure I'd just let some readers of this forum know it doesn't take that much exercise to enhance the diving experience!

Good for you! Congrats... you should be proud of yourself...

wetrat:
Great discussion! You know what? I was pretty fat and out of shape cardio-wise and I didn't care too much until I started diving. Then I started thinking how great diving is and how it would be good if my air could last longer and my wetsuit fit a little better. I've been able to achieve those two goals running a couple miles three to four times a week. Then the doc told me my cholesterol and blood pressure were down, and I realized I'll be able to enjoy a longer life with more years of diving if I keep it up! I guess I've lost about 10 lbs. is all, and I still look kinda chubby, but I'm happy. I figure I'd just let some readers of this forum know it doesn't take that much exercise to enhance the diving experience!

Good for you, wetrat. IMO, exercise is the best way to lose weight. When I was in my late 20s, I began running. I had always been tall and thin and had to eat 4000+ calories just not to waste away when I ran 3 to 6 miles a day. I started running 10K races, then I started training for a marathon. I was in the best shape of my life by 30 and could eat anything, anytime I wanted. I injured a hamstring and that set me back for about 6 weeks. I trained very hard again for about 6 months and injured a knee which required surgery and that set me back several months. I continued running about 5 times a week until I was about 38 and one day I was bending over tying my shoe and I sneezed and herniated a disc. I was unable to even walk for about 6 weeks much less run. After all those injuries, I was more or less walking/jogging and over the years (I'm 48 now) I had gained 18 pounds. I was still well within the normal BMI. I had always remained active during that period, but too much impact (running) gave me back pain.

About a year ago, I decided I wanted to lose the 18 pounds. A little sag here and some celluite there and I decided I wanted to reverse the clock as much as possible. I was working out 45 minutes per day, 5 days a week and I increased it to 1 hour per day, higher intensity, 6 days a week, and restricted my diet to 1500 calories. It took 6 months of hard work just to lose 9 pounds. I was totally amazed in that my metabolism had changed so much as I could always burn the calories.

I finally gave up on the 9 additional pounds and have to work to keep the other nine from reappearing. During the 6 months of increased activity and lower caloric intake, I didn't feel as well as I normally did; my body rebelled and I think it was the reduced calories. I may have possibly lowerd my metabolic rate in reducing the calories. It really made me think about those who struggle to lose weight and the fact that we have set points in weight which are very difficult to change.

Keep up the good work! And keep logging miles.

Wow redhotmama (I mean redHATmama - was that a freudian slip or what)! That's impressive. At one time in my life I was lifting and doing cardio five times a week. I think the muscle mass I built during that time has helped me from getting completely FAT in the FAT FAT FAT sense. I'll bet if you weren't already in such fantastic shape you would have gained more than 18 pounds. You should have a picture of yourself in your profile - I'm sure it would inspire us all! In fact, I'm going to add a day of running per week just because your story is so motivating!

Thanks for the encouragement!

Wetrat

redhatmama,

the article you posted is typical of this issue. it highlights one person (Blair, a short fat bloke) who goes against the majority of doctors who say there is a link between fat and health. in his argument he basically says that its better to be fat and healthy than yoyo diet - what RUBBISH! of course its better but yoyo diet isnt the option that should be suggested instead of fat.

its like saying stealing cars is bad but its that or banks.....err...how about not stealing anything?

And this is my WHOLE point......fat is fine, fat can be better than slim and lazy but just make sure you are fat because you want to be and NOT BECAUSE you have a seriers of nonsense ideas that you belive will prevent you slimming.

if someone says "im fat, i know i could slim but to hell with it" then more power to them......total respect.

if someone says "im fat, it doesnt matter whetjer i like it or not - its my only choice because its really the fault of yoyo diets, social conditions, mcdonalds, genes and.....well Arnolds big isnt he?"

that is my problem.

T

ps- as for asthma, i work in the insurance industry and can assure you that asthma (controled) is not regarded as a big deal.
For me, it has NO EFFECT on me when medicated. I will happily risk my life on the belife that i wont have an attack on meds (and have done sports where the location was such that an attack would have killed me) In contrast i would not add 100lbs and keep up the excercise beliving that that wont catch up with me.

"1 hour per day, higher intensity, 6 days a week, and restricted my diet to 1500 calories."

well done on dropping the weight....but im not surprised you found it hard going on that workout/calorie intake.....................this is the biggest hurdle that is a genuine problem for fat people - education. there are far better ways to loose weight, they just have to educate themsleves (IF they want to - and not that they should!)

Tiggs:
"1 hour per day, higher intensity, 6 days a week, and restricted my diet to 1500 calories."

well done on dropping the weight....but im not surprised you found it hard going on that workout/calorie intake.....................this is the biggest hurdle that is a genuine problem for fat people - education. there are far better ways to loose weight, they just have to educate themsleves (IF they want to - and not that they should!)

I was surprised because I have always been thin and wasn't overweight with 18 extra pounds. It was more of a vanity thing than health. I disagree with education being the problem. Just think of the staggering amount of psychological, physiological, metabolic and other studies done on obesity and the problem is a complex one as eating is a desire and a pleasure and possibly an addiction for many people.

With fitness the fat generally takes care of itself. The body finds a metabolic level where it can sustain itself on that level of fitness. The loss of weight is an inspiration to eat healthier, which results in more weight loss. It is a more rational objective than simply to lose weight. A lot of recent science bears this out as people who concentrate on fitness rather than fatness lose weight and sustain weight loss and a healthier lifestyle at a far greater rate than those who diet. Look at Oprah Winfrey.

"Look at Oprah Winfrey"

but there are times when you just have to accept that Oprah wants to eat more than she wants to be slim. She has EVERY resource avalible to her and clearly wealth and education are not issues......but when shes sat at home and wants another donut it doesnt matter who she is - she has to make a call between food and slim....and sometimes she picks the fridge. that choice is the momnet she elects to place being slim furtehr down the list of things that are important. doesnt make her bad, doesnt make her weak - but it is a choice she made and being aware that its that simple (simple concept - not simple to do) is important for people that hide behind excuses when its all about that moment in the kitchen at 11pm when you want a snack.

oh, and im well aware there are people for whom it is more complex but if all the people that need do nothing more than work on that split second moment of choice work on it the obesity levels in the western world would fall within 6 months.

T

ps- if Oprah reads this and wants to suggest otherwise then for $500,000 a week she can live with me - i guarantee she will leave slimmer because i will lock her in a room with a treadmill and no fridge for 2 months - she can afford that...does she want it? (and quite frankly...why should she?)

wetrat:
Wow redhotmama (I mean redHATmama - was that a freudian slip or what)! That's impressive. At one time in my life I was lifting and doing cardio five times a week. I think the muscle mass I built during that time has helped me from getting completely FAT in the FAT FAT FAT sense. I'll bet if you weren't already in such fantastic shape you would have gained more than 18 pounds. You should have a picture of yourself in your profile - I'm sure it would inspire us all! In fact, I'm going to add a day of running per week just because your story is so motivating!

Thanks for the encouragement!

Wetrat

Thanks, wetrat. I have been waiting for a good photo of me underwater, but the photos I have are pretty blurry.

I loved running because it made me feel so good and I had so much energy. It was almost like getting high when I got the "burn" and the endorphins kicked in. That usually happened for me after 45 minutes and I could sustain it for 45 more until I hit a wall. It was pushing through the wall at 1:30 that caused me to sustain injuries: 2 major and many minor ones. I could not believe that I injured myself by hyperextending my back while sneezing, but I hear it is not uncommon and tall, thin people are more prone to back injuries than short, stocky people.

Running was very fashionable at that time, and I just took it up with a friend. And it is so easy (step outside and go). I haven't found any other form of exercise where I can acheive that burn and feeling of euphoria. I've thought about serious swimming, but I think I need my own pool as the public one is too crowded and inconvenient. I'm swimming more now, but not on a regular basis.

I have a hard time with weight training. I have well-developed leg muscles, but my upper body was very thin when I was running. I find it an enormous chore to do weight training and get no pleasure out of it. I'm also afraid of another back injury. I'm hoping that regular swimming will improve my upper body strengh. I admire people who can weight train. It must take a lot of self-discipline to sustain it.

Wetrat, if you can find the right speed and time to kick in a good burn, you might just become addicted to running. Be careful of that wall and don't push it too hard.

Tiggs:
"Look at Oprah Winfrey"

ps- if Oprah reads this and wants to suggest otherwise then for $500,000 a week she can live with me - i guarantee she will leave slimmer because i will lock her in a room with a treadmill and no fridge for 2 months - she can afford that...does she want it? (and quite frankly...why should she?)

Tiggs, you are so smug. Oprah doesn't need you, she has Bob Greene.

And she looks great: http://www2.oprah.com/presents/2005/bootcamp/team/team_oprah_qa.jhtml

The American public has watched Oprah gain and lose hundreds of pounds with yo-yo dieting over the course of 20 years. Finally, she hired Bob Greene and went from obese to chunky and fit and finally fantastic. It was a long process which involved the usual Oprah style psychological meandering. Read Greene's book: Total Body Makeover.

Oprah is a poster child for the "get fit first and the fat will take care of itself" philosophy.

I find it interesting that the obesity "problem" cropped up after 20 years of fighting fat with low-fat food. The more information we get it about what we should eat, the worse off we have become following the latest mantra. Fat was replaced by sugar which turns out to be worse than fat. And we get fatter sitting at our computers reading the the latest thoughts on how not to be fat while surrounded by fast food restaurants and supermarkets the size of football fields which display nutritional information on every package. We have information gluts and guts. We don't need no education....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom