Please get in shape!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will give swimmers a lot of credit. I am just getting ready to take my classes and had to learn to swim first. I have always gone to the gym at least 3-4 times a week and play hockey on the weekends. I figured swimming would be no problem. WRONG!!! I have never felt so out of shape in my life. I can swim well now but I have a heck of a time floating. I seem to sink like a rock while all my friends float with their heads above water with no effort. What am I doing wrong???

redhatmama:
I have a hard time with weight training. I have well-developed leg muscles, but my upper body was very thin when I was running. I find it an enormous chore to do weight training and get no pleasure out of it. I'm also afraid of another back injury. I'm hoping that regular swimming will improve my upper body strengh. I admire people who can weight train. It must take a lot of self-discipline to sustain it.

Redhatmama,

Most people have difficulty weight training until they start seeing the results. I know, I know, it feels like physical labor. For guys it may be easier because we can see muscle building and our arms getting bigger. That's often a bummer for women who are usually not traying to attain a muscular look. And, guys feel more powerful personally knowing the strength is there. Ironically, my lower back problem went away after starting to weight train. A trainer at the gym showed me how to strengthen the muscles in my lower back and it stabilized my spine. My problem is time. When I was weight training I spent WAY too much time in the gym. I could only sustain it for about 2 1/2 years, and work and family pulled me away. Running is great because, as you said, I can pull on a pair of shoes and in 30 seconds my heart rate is climbing. I'm sure I won't be doing any 90 minute runs soon! You are truly amazing! :11:

wetrat

so whats needed then? you say eductaion is ok and infomation is there for all......so why do people pick up burgers when they shop instead of chicken or eat chips instead of fruit - they do so because they CHOOSE to.

i have plenty of mcdonalds near me but i wouldnt think of going in one to eat - my choice, not right or wrong but my choice. so when overweight people do go in there to eat they have to accept it was a choice they made - one of the biggest problems of the modern age seems not the genes/fat stroring/ect but the lack of personal responsibility. The UK is geting like the US in that sense, you fall over in the street and it must have been the fault of someone else - quick...sue them. Get fat and it must be somebody elses fault if its not what you wanted.

people need to take some resposibility for how they look (unless they have someone else feeding them) because if things continue whereby everyone is allowed to blame something other than theirselves very little will change.

No, I don't see a problem at all.

markunm1:
I will give swimmers a lot of credit. I am just getting ready to take my classes and had to learn to swim first. I have always gone to the gym at least 3-4 times a week and play hockey on the weekends. I figured swimming would be no problem. WRONG!!! I have never felt so out of shape in my life. I can swim well now but I have a heck of a time floating. I seem to sink like a rock while all my friends float with their heads above water with no effort. What am I doing wrong???

Muscle is more dense than fat, if you are muscular you will sink. If you have a low percentage of body fat you will not float as easily as your friends. I sink like a rock...

Tiggs:
so whats needed then? you say eductaion is ok and infomation is there for all......so why do people pick up burgers when they shop instead of chicken or eat chips instead of fruit - they do so because they CHOOSE to.

i have plenty of mcdonalds near me but i wouldnt think of going in one to eat - my choice, not right or wrong but my choice. so when overweight people do go in there to eat they have to accept it was a choice they made - one of the biggest problems of the modern age seems not the genes/fat stroring/ect but the lack of personal responsibility. The UK is geting like the US in that sense, you fall over in the street and it must have been the fault of someone else - quick...sue them. Get fat and it must be somebody elses fault if its not what you wanted.

people need to take some resposibility for how they look (unless they have someone else feeding them) because if things continue whereby everyone is allowed to blame something other than theirselves very little will change.

I don't think the old hamburger is to blame. I think the 32 oz. Coke is more of a culprit, but there is not one single cause. Our lifestyles are radically different than they were when I grew up in the 60s. Overweight children were extremely rare and although people gained some weight during middle age, it was considered a normal part of aging and older people usually skipped the desert.

We ate hamburgers, but usually cooked at home. Almost all meals were prepared at home or school if we didn't take our lunch. Most mothers stayed at home and cooked. Cokes came in 10 oz. bottles and they were an occasional treat. Our mothers didn't buy them at the grocery store very often. We drank milk, water and in the South, iced tea. Kool-aid was occasionally served during hot weather, but in 6 oz portions. Parents were very sugar-avoidant because kids got cavaties and that meant expensive trips to the dentist for fillings. Now we have fluoridated water and dental insurance.

In my neighborhood (we had neighborhood schools), we all walked or rode our bikes to and from school after eating a standard breakfast or perhaps cereal. After school, we played outside with the other kids until dinner. We ate meatloaf, spaghetti, fried chicken, hamburgers at dinner with veggies and potatoes with milk. After dinner, we had homework, maybe an hour or two of TV. We also had some McDonalds and many other mom and pop hamburger joints. In our family, eating out was an occasional thing. We didn't have computers, Play Stations or videos. We had 3 TV channels and 1 PBS channel. Most families had one TV in the living room and only during Saturday could we find cartoons and other shows just for kids. Most kids watched cartoons in the morning and played outside the rest of the day.

Now, we have 1 parent families or 2 parent families where both work. We drive children to school or they ride a bus. We pick them up and make "play dates" or drive them to sports occasionally. Kids spend a lot of time watching TV, playing video games and computer games. People buy and eat a lot of convenience food which is mostly labeled low fat (which people mistake as healthy) and most of it contains a lot of sugar. Kids go the mall and walk around with 32 oz cups of sugar. IMO, the dietary culprit is sugar combined with a sedentary life style and less time to prepare family meals. Instead of fighting middle age spread later in life, kids grow up overweight and become obese over the years. It's an entire lifestyle which has become the norm.

I have an acquaintance from the People's Republic of China and she became alarmed when her son gained a lot of weight eating western food. She's convinced it is pizza because that is the only American food her family ate. You think it is hamburgers.

i didnt mean its only burgers....just that burgers sum up the choices people make.

all the things you list above are choices, my kids have xbox but (as they are to young to choose for themsleves) i choose they cant play more than 45mins a day on it.......they have shops nearby that sell coke - i choose they cant drink it. We also have swimming pools nearby and i choose they compete and exercise in them regulary........while i drive to the pool i will pass other parents who have chosen to get a pizza and watch TV with their kids that night.

its all about the choices we make - i grew up in the 80's so im well aware of the temptation that fast food offers - i just never chose to eat it bevause i thought i would get fat if i did.

Sugar, processed wheat. Yes, you are right Redhatmama. You sound to be about the same age as me. There were no Nintendos or Playstations or PC's back then. There were only three TV channels, but at least they were entertaining.
The most simple way to diet really isn't a diet at all per se. It's the way humans used to eat. It's only in the last hundred years that we've started eating garbage.
Just do your shopping around the outside lanes in the grocery store. Everything in the inside lanes is all processed garbage, most of which didn't even exist fifty years ago. It's all flavored sugar and/or processed wheat. Junk.
Eat fresh meats, fresh/frozen veggies, salads, whole grains, fruits and nuts, limited amounts of potatoes. Limit your trans fats, eat monunsaturated fats. Olive oil is your friend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom