Please Explain US Societal Priorities?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drbill

The Lorax for the Kelp Forest
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Over the weekend we in the United States had two deaths of figures that atracted national news attention. One was Richard Pryor and the other was Sen. Eugene McCarthy.

I am very confused at the way local (this is LALA Land) and national (TV and print) news covered these two passings. Richard Pryor was given top billing in every show I watched. Sen. McCarthy seemed to be an also ran (hmmm).

Now, I enjoyed Richard Pryor's humor (and social commentary). Certainly made me laugh on numerous occasions. However, why does a comedian (OK, and social commentator) get much higher billing than a Senator who ran for president and attracted the support of many from my generation as well as possibly changing the course of this country (at least during the late 60's... I guess based on the current situation we have been doomed to repeat the mistakes of the past).

Can someone explain this to me? I really don't understand it. I, for one, am really tired of seeing movie stars, sports heros and the like receive such billing in our news and general interest stories and not those like scientists, doctors and others (yes, including politicians... unless they are just a joke themselves) who have made real progress for society as a whole.

I'd also be interested in commentary from those who are nationals of other countries. Do your societies emphasize your entertainment figures the way mine does?

Stumped!

I think it goes to our country's core values. People will pay big money to be entertained because it is immediate, direct gratification, and fun. It frustrates me too, as a teacher, to see baseball or basketball players whine about their salaries. But, I must admit, I do pay to go to basketball and baseball games once in awhile....

Oh one more thing - it is interesting when actors are given so much attention when they express their opinions on social or political issues. I mean, who really cares what they think anyway? They are ACTORS for crying out loud. I am more interested to hear from people who are actually qualified to give their opinion!!!

Dog bites man: little or no story, perhaps a column inch or two.

Man bites dog: several pages and most likely a front page lead.

Sadly the media is driven by headlines, lurid stories and hence predominately by the antics of those entertainment industry. Ask the average Joe on the street to name one college sports star, pro athlete, comedian, film or stage star and I'll bet they can name ten. Ask them who their senator is, or for the names of the politicians who passed the bills granted arts funding to help the fledgeling singer/actor(ress), or funding to build the facilities, the stadia, the gyms... You know already what the answer is.

It's the same in the UK, and it's the same no doubt in the rest of Europe, Australasia, Asia, probably the world over. It's a part of human nature to slow down as you pass the nasty car crash to have a look, to lean over the garden fence to hear the gossip about so and so at number 35 and the media feeds that need. Unfortunately in doing so the people who truly deserve the publicity, those who we should celebrate end up getting pushed into the dark corners. People are simply more interested in the film star breaking their wrist, the politician caught with their pants down, the model taking drugs, the footballers decline into alcoholism. And I think it is incredibly sad.

Richard Pryor died, how sad.

drbill:
Richard Pryor was given top billing in every show I watched. Sen. McCarthy seemed to be an also ran (hmmm).
Perhaps he was an "also ran" because he was the "also ran" in his 1968, '72 and '92 presidential campaigns, as well as in the '82 senate race.

WaterDawg:
No, just the medias'

Yet the media is driven by the tastes of the public.

Now I have nothing against entertainment... in moderate doses. I think there is so much more to life than being entertained. However, I do use humor/entertainment in my newspaper columns, my DVD's and my teaching. I realize that by doing so, I will have a much greater chance of reaching the people I want to reach with my messages of conservation and respect for other life forms.

May I don't just live in the "wrong" country, but on the "wrong" planet (after all, aren't men from Mars?).

drbill:
Now I have nothing against entertainment... in moderate doses.

Funny, because I don't have anything against government... in moderate doses.

Hopefully we both agree we are not getting a moderate dose of either.

i think we dont' care much about government (look at our voting rates)

our lives are defined by the entertainment and media we consume,
and those are the names we know and recognize.

we're not citizens. we're consumers.

sad but true

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom