Please don't move this thread, AKA Dive report Morrison 6/18/06

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PerroneFord:
I'm not. This is not the Spiegel Grove. The boat is 22 miles offshore, and its 212ft to the sand. This boat will allow the Reaper to visit if you don't have your **** together.

Oh come on Perrone.... stop spooking the little kids!! We haven't tucked them into bed yet!
inbed.gif

....the sky is falling... the sky is falling!!! :1poke:

Luv ya man!! :D

Good...

The other thing you need to be aware of is that there are apparently only 3 commercial operators here who will go to the boat. So it's a catch 22. Those who have been diving in the gulf had had little need to work on deeper diving, as the vast majority of sites are in 100ft of water or less. So now we have a new playground that will require taking up techinical diving to see it all. And you need to be squared away because the sand is a long way down if you screw up.

This may be one of VERY few sites where I will go with air instead of nitrox. A 21/55 mix would be great, and 18/55 mix would be even better.

But if you want to dive it, come on up. I'll be ready in a couple of months. Should make a SWEET dive in September.

Nice report with good shots. Makes me want to visit for some diving.

Missdirected:
Hey Phd thanks for the photos.

Morrison looks really nice! Is this group planning on doing the O anytime soon? Maybe even this week????? I'm not workin', can I temp anyone? Either way, I would like to do the O soon and have some peeps to do it with :) Please keep me informed.

Looking at diving her towards the end of July.

PerroneFord:
Good...

The other thing you need to be aware of is that there are apparently only 3 commercial operators here who will go to the boat. So it's a catch 22. Those who have been diving in the gulf had had little need to work on deeper diving, as the vast majority of sites are in 100ft of water or less. So now we have a new playground that will require taking up techinical diving to see it all. And you need to be squared away because the sand is a long way down if you screw up.

This may be one of VERY few sites where I will go with air instead of nitrox. A 21/55 mix would be great, and 18/55 mix would be even better.

But if you want to dive it, come on up. I'll be ready in a couple of months. Should make a SWEET dive in September.

There are more than 3 shops arranging trips to the Oriskany, countless charter boats are also doing trips on their own.

Actually, several sites off Pensacola and Orange Beach are in the 100-150' range, or deeper.

Matt,

Do you know 3 operators in FLORIDA who are doing the Oriskany? I don't. But if you do, let me know. I know a number of people are chartering privately. I'm set up on one for August.

As for dive sites, I don't know anything about Orange Beach dives, but yes, there are some deeper dives to do off Pensacola, like the Miss Jenny, the Antares, the San Pablo, The Tenneco Oil Rig, and for giggles the Ozark (330ft deep). But I do not know ANYONE who is diving these wrecks or servicing them. I asked around all spring and got nowhere. If you've got info, spill it man!

-P

PerroneFord:
I'm planning on doing it in August. We'll see how it goes. It's a demanding dive that can get get divers into trouble in a hurry. There is already an organized recovery team put together to get dives off this boat.

I wouldn't mind another Morrison dive in July. Still have a few more things to sort out.

July? You think we will let you back so soon? HA! I am still in detox for being contaminated by the uncertified DIR diver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom