• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Please Don't Mishandle the Sealife!

Discussion in 'Cayman Islands' started by KathyV, Dec 4, 2019.

1. formernuke

formernuke Manta Ray

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    Look, observe but don't feed or touch it's easy people.

2. tridacna

tridacna ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    This has nothing to do with Natural Selection. Or Darwin.

3. tarponchik

tarponchik Loggerhead Turtle

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    It is tempting to present this as "Big Bis vs. People" but in such cases there always is the fifth column of boat operators, tour guides, gift shops and eateries owners, etc. Everyone who wants to make a quick buck will vote for more cruise ships coming, come Hell or high water.

ScubaWithTurk, Bob DBF and Doctorfish like this.
  4. Dizzi Lizzi

Dizzi Lizzi Manta Ray

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    I would love to do this, and 10 or 15 years ago I would not have hesitated. But now I can't bear to think of contributing to this madness. While I know I would be kind and would never handle wildlife on purpose, I can't control others and it would make me crazy. Same reason I can't go back to Hanauma Bay. Despite the mandatory video saying don't touch the wildlife or the reef there were several people standing on the reef to take pictures. Made me so sick. We went to the lifeguards and all they could do was tell people to not stand on the reef. They had no power other than the bullhorn. My friend and I swam out and told several groups not to stand on the reef, don't chase the turtles....sickening. Don't get me started on all the trash and used 1x snorkel sets.

5. Bob DBF

Bob DBF Solo Diver

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    And it isn't just a "quick buck", but also folks that just need a job.

Bob

6. Joneill

Joneill Loggerhead Turtle

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    When I was in Rangiroa in October, some of the dolphins in Tiputa Pass would nudge you or stop and hang right in front of you as they wanted to be "scratched" - I normally abide by the no touch rule, but when the wildlife is "asking" I see no harm in obliging as long as it's done carefully and respectfully (in that case, tht meant no chasing the dolphins and only interacting like that if they intitiated) - It was a truly amazing experience!

cgills, Saboteur and Dizzi Lizzi like this.
  7. tarponchik

tarponchik Loggerhead Turtle

Yeah, this is basically Economy vs Nature.

Bob DBF likes this.
  8. ScubaWithTurk

ScubaWithTurk Bubble Blowing Buddha

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I understand your train of thought. However in order to play devil's advocate, we do not know what touching marine life does to them. Can our oils hurt them? Can we take away a protective layer that then causes infection?

I would say do not touch. If the dolphin wants to contact, they will initiate contact. Just my 2 bar and thanks for your input in this discussion.

9. KathyV

KathyV ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

mi000ke, BrackaFish and tarponchik like this.
  10. caydiver

caydiver Manta Ray

The small ops and those with businesses in the area do not want the port project. Sadly there is a big difference in people who accept that the port needs to be updated but the proposed project is way beyond the scope of what is necessary. The new “development” as proposed is total overkill We don’t have a mid ground. Our choice is all or nothing.

Alucard likes this.