Please Comment on this LogBook Page Sample

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looks nice... the only thing that isn't 'intuitive' is the "Dive" at the very top after "In" and "Out". I'm sure this is meant to be the "Duration", so why no label it so?

You are right, it is duration.
The only reason it is not labeled so is I wanted to put it all on one line.
DURATION left the '_____' too short :)
Maybe I should use DUR instead...

I also love the "Time-to-Date:", but I'm not sure you need to differentiate between "Total Dive" and "Total Bottom".

You are probably right.
This came from filling out my PADI log.
It had BOTTOM TIME TO DATE, TIME THIS DIVE, and CUMULATIVE TIME on it.
I've never been sure what to fill in for BOTTOM TIME when diving with a computer. I'm of the opinion that as long as I don't 'error out' on my computer, I've done OK.

Maybe I'll change it to just have
TIME TO DATE _____________________
and get rid of DIVE & BOTTOM

Looks nice... the only thing that isn't 'intuitive' is the "Dive" at the very top after "In" and "Out". I'm sure this is meant to be the "Duration", so why no label it so?

Also, under O2 mix, I had
SHOP - What the shop said the mix was
ANALYZED - what the Analyzer said the mix was when I measured it
USED - What I used for my dive computer value

Couldn't think of a better word than USED. Any suggestions?

The Camera stuff is because I am experimenting with different camera/light/tray combos.
I wanted to note that because some are more buoyant than others.

he only reason it is not labeled so is I wanted to put it all on one line.
Reduce the line for "Dive #" and you could probably just change it to "#" while you're at it.
Maybe I'll change it to just have
TIME TO DATE _____________________
or Dive time to date________________

Was thinking to use
a) Sharpie Fine-point (alcohol-based)
or
b) Pencil

Good point that I had not considered...

My first thought is that:
1) Stickers - For dive shops that use 'stickers' this is OK
2) Stamps - Maybe I should carry a few white adhesive address labels (3"x1" or something) and stick those on the page to receive the water-based stamp?

For dive shops that offer business cards, you could either tape that in, or cut four "card insert slits in page, like this:

/. \
\. /
Tape dries out and the slits might rip out, so it depends how long you use each log book before starting another. I take one person's card, but write other people's names on it, that are helping out.

Last edited:
Also, under O2 mix, I had
SHOP - What the shop said the mix was
ANALYZED - what the Analyzer said the mix was when I measured it
USED - What I used for my dive computer value
"used" Seems redundant to me. I would never set my computers value to something different that what I analyzed as. I would eliminate that field entirely. I also don't see a need to have the shop field either. It should be within +- 1% of what you analyze at anyway.

I like this log a lot! After reading all the suggestions above I agree with them and think tyou have made a very easy to fill out log that has a good flow to compared to say a PADI created log.

I would be interested in getting the PDF or whatever file type this is for me to play around with.

Do any of the electronic dive logs have room for uploading underwater photo books connected to a log page? Paper log books can't hold too many photos or any videos, (maybe one selfie with DM or critter photo) so that would be one reason for me to start electronic logging.

MacDive allows you to attach photos to your logs. Requires a Mac though.

Back
Top Bottom