Please check my rig.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnAC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just got this new HOG 32 wing today, and wanted some input on its adjustment.

What do you think about the tank height and the wing placement?

Seems like HP inflator hose is pushing into the back of the wing when everything is in place. I'm thinking about changing it to the rear port. Thanks WJC

Last edited:
You're really asking three questions here...
Wing placement?
Tank placement?
Hose routing?
--
The wing and the tank look just fine, but looks ain't what we're after :)
How does it trim out?
Can you reach the tank valve?
Tank and wing positioning are more operational/functional questions than "how does it look."
As for hose routing, are you asking about the HP hose or the inflator hose? The HP hose looks just fine (though my personal preference is for a downward rather than out & over routing). Your inflator's on a swivel, so "rear port" is a bit ambiguous :)
Rick

What Rick said about trim and reaching valves.

The basic arrangement looks like a proper starting point.

Getting a really clean hose routing on a single tank setup can be nearly impossible. What you have looks fine, unless you have ports that will allow you to bring the LP inflator hose and backup reg hose more forward, and not have the long hose pointing away from you.

The HP port is where it is, and you probably don't have many choices about that. (Where I've seen two, they are generally on opposite sides of the first stage, and you definitely don't want to move it to the other side.)

I'd get a shorter HP hose, if it were me.

It says I need a password to see the picture. On the surface, looking at the tiny picture I can see, it looks like your hoses are mostly routed..... "sub-optimally".

I'd like to help but you'll need to post better pictures to work with.

R..

You're really asking three questions here...
Wing placement?
Tank placement?
Hose routing?
--
The wing and the tank look just fine, but looks ain't what we're after :)
How does it trim out?
Can you reach the tank valve?
Tank and wing positioning are more operational/functional questions than "how does it look."
As for hose routing, are you asking about the HP hose or the inflator hose? The HP hose looks just fine (though my personal preference is for a downward rather than out & over routing). Your inflator's on a swivel, so "rear port" is a bit ambiguous :)
Rick

Hi Rick, thanks for the response.

Sounds like we have some testing to do to determine wing position.

As far as the hoses are concerned, I had the wing high on the tank and the whole reg seemed to be cramped behind the top of the wing.

I decided to reposition the wing below the reg to start with and will adjust from there depending on trim.

Again, thanks for the help, wjc

What Rick said about trim and reaching valves.

The basic arrangement looks like a proper starting point.

Getting a really clean hose routing on a single tank setup can be nearly impossible. What you have looks fine, unless you have ports that will allow you to bring the LP inflator hose and backup reg hose more forward, and not have the long hose pointing away from you.

The HP port is where it is, and you probably don't have many choices about that. (Where I've seen two, they are generally on opposite sides of the first stage, and you definitely don't want to move it to the other side.)

I'd get a shorter HP hose, if it were me.

Hi TSandM,

Dito on the shorter hp hose!

Thanks for your help! wjc

It says I need a password to see the picture. On the surface, looking at the tiny picture I can see, it looks like your hoses are mostly routed..... "sub-optimally".

R..

Hi Diver0001, here ya go.

DSCF3102.JPG

DSCF3101.JPG

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/JACameron/DSCF3102.jpg?t=1255848497

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/JACameron/DSCF3101.jpg?t=1255848606

Last edited by a moderator:
o...k....

I don't know how many options you have becuse you're using a single regulator but your hose routing looks funny to me.

I can't tell for sure if the hose with the yellow protector on it is your octopus or not but I think it is. Assuming that's your octopus and assuming your route it under your arm then it looks ok to me.

On the other side, on one of the pictures the inflator hose looks too long and on the other picture it doesn't. What I would do with the inflator hose to keep it "tidy" would be to put a couple of loops of bungee along the corrugated inflator hose and route the LP hose under the bungees so it stays put. Also put a bungee around the foot of the valve where it attaches to the wing so you can keep the LP hose running neatly along the inflator from the point it attaches all the way to the top where it goes into the wing. Route the hose on the INSIDE of the valve where the inflator attaches instead of the outside to take up some of the slack in the hose. That will reduce your chances of the inflator hose getting caught on something as you swim by. Obviously that's mostly a concern for wrecks.

Same is true for the console. On the first picture you can see it looping *way* out to your left. You can bet you'll have trouble with that snagging on just about anything it can. The solution doesn't look easy. Normally, you would want to tilt the regulator to route your HP hose straight down the side of the tank, but it doesn't look like you can do that without screwing up how your other hoses go.

uuuhhmmm... hmmm... ok. Here are two suggstions. (1) try routing the HP hose UNDER the LP hose instead of above it and then tucking it into the space right in between the tank and the wing all the way down to the bottom of the wing and then up on the other side to attach to the left shoulder D ring with a bolt snap (you might have to move the ring down or put a second one on). In order to get it to stay put in the back you might need to put a bit of velcro on the hose and a bit of velcro on the cam bands so you can stick it on. Use velcro so you pull it free if you need to. You don't want to attach it back there in such a way that you can't get it out. Doing that will get rid of the big loop. (2) another alternative that might work in your case is to route the HP hose OVER your shoulder and attach the hose to he left shoulder D ring with a bolt snap. That will sort out your routing problem but might take some getting used to. Just like the inflator hose, if you go this way you might want to put a loop of bungee around the shoulder strap near the top to keep th hose in place. If you're planning on diving on wrecks then you'll have to do something with the HP hose for sure.

I see the others told you that the HP hose is too long. It might be best to get a shorter one but if you try suggstion #1 above you might find tht you need the length to make it work.

For the rest, the height of the tank looks right but you can be the judge of that once you have it in the water. I would remove the tank boot, Alu tanks have a flat bottom so the boot isn't needed. The DIN coupling on teh regulator is definitely the right way to go.

hope that helps.

R..

R..

yes me too:confused:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom