Please check my rig.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... put a couple of loops of bungee...
I much prefer the use of rubber bands cut from a bicycle innertube. Very clean/streamlined...

hose_retention.jpg

--
As a general comment on hose routing ... when using a single regulator it's really a "you can't get there from here" situation, at least for me. I like all hoses initially coming as close to straight down as possible, and there just arent that many lp ports on the same side of a single first stage - at least not on any I'm familiar with.
So you're stuck with some kind of compromise...
--
Oh, and as a general comment on Bill Main & Hogarthian rigging... He's still futzing (futz: v. to adjust, modify, improve, experiment, and generally try every combination and permutation possible in the endless search for the perfect solution) with his rig; I'm just getting started :) ... It is not unusual to see a techie spending a couple of hours futzing with his/her rig at any time of the day or night, producing no apparent changes...
Rick

I don't think you really need to worry about whether the top part of the wing is compressed by the reg or hoses. When you are diving, the air will go to the top of the side arcs in the wing anyway, and when you are on the surface, the amount of compression is negligible. The real key is to have the tank where you can reach the valve, and where it trims out well for you. The wing will manage.

I assumed the hose with the yellow protector was a long hose, and that the OP was using a long hose/bungied backup setup -- was I wrong?

If you're going to replace any hoses, you might consider the new Miflex hoses. They're softer and more flexible, and don't tend to bow outwards so much because of this.

Last edited:
I don't think you really need to worry about whether the top part of the wing is compressed by the reg or hoses. When you are diving, the air will go to the top of the side arcs in the wing anyway, and when you are on the surface, the amount of compression is negligible. The real key is to have the tank where you can reach the valve, and where it trims out well for you. The wing will manage.

I assumed the hose with the yellow protector was a long hose, and that the OP was using a long hose/bungied backup setup -- was I wrong?

The long hose with yellow protector is my octo. OP= ?

I had no bungied backup.

May I ask why no B/U?
Not a criticism, just that if you are soloing with no other divers about you could use a much shorter hose and bungy your primary. It's much cleaner that way. If you are not soloing I suppose a longer hose would be required for buddy breathing.

While we are talking. Has anyone ever thought to use a shorter HP hose and route the SPG along with the LP inflator hose so it hangs off the left shoulder somewhere? It would seem to eliminate a hose hanging off the left side of the body and put the SPG within visual range with a flick of the inflator hose. Perhaps there is a well known reason I don't see?

May I ask why no B/U?
Not a criticism, just that if you are soloing with no other divers about you could use a much shorter hose and bungy your primary. It's much cleaner that way. If you are not soloing I suppose a longer hose would be required for buddy breathing.

While we are talking. Has anyone ever thought to use a shorter HP hose and route the SPG along with the LP inflator hose so it hangs off the left shoulder somewhere? It would seem to eliminate a hose hanging off the left side of the body and put the SPG within visual range with a flick of the inflator hose. Perhaps there is a well known reason I don't see?

Hi Dale, I'm just in the process of changing my rig over from stab jacket to bp/wing. So my regs are still set up w/rec length hoses on the primary and octo.

Not quite sure I want to go with the long primary and bungeed second yet. I definitely want to go with a shorter hp hose.

I had no bungied backup.

To each his own, I can't imagine swimming around with a conventional Octo nowadays.

I would switch to a bungied backup before fixing any of the other details mentioned. Donating from the mouth with a bungied backup under the chin is the Hog foundation.

To each his own, I can't imagine swimming around with a conventional Octo nowadays.

I would switch to a bungied backup before fixing any of the other details mentioned. Donating from the mouth with a bungied backup under the chin is the Hog foundation.

I'm still considering it. I definitely want to clean things up as much as possible.

How long are the hoses on the hog set up?

I'm still considering it. I definitely want to clean things up as much as possible.

How long are the hoses on the hog set up?

Like this:
hosekit_single_eclipse01.jpg

5,6,or 7ft hose on the right which goes down under the right arm, under the canister light across the chest to the neck, behind the neck to the mouth.
a ~24" hose on the bungied backup over the right shoulder to the chin
a ~18" Lp inflator hose on the left
a ~22" SPG hose on the left
optional ~30" LP drysuit hose from the left under the left arm to the suit inflator.

If you don't have a canister light you can tuck a 7ft hose into the waist, or use a 5 or 6ft hose without tucking depending on your body size and exposure protction.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom