Suggestion Please cancel the "I'm A Fish" designation on dive experiences

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
DandyDon

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
You see divers with half a dozen dives using it...!

The idea of putting number of dives on dive experience here so that it would show up on posts was actually mine :D I think. The TechAdmin in charge of stuff then and I were chatting, he liked it, just did it, and it's been very helpful in some discussions - as the response we may give to someone with 6 dives tend to be different than those with 60 or 600. Those who choose to list "Not Certified" but then want to post as if Experienced think they're funny, I suppose - but they cause confusion, and when one list "I'm a Fish," you have no idea...??

"I'm a fish" is as valid as Instructors who claim to have not logged any dives... :D

There is little in the user profile that is guaranteed.

DandyDon:
and when one list "I'm a Fish," you have no idea...??

yes, i often pause to wonder, "Halibut or Cod?"

:14:

I use the SB classic theme, so i don't see dive history under anyone's avatar anyway. its usually glaringly obvious how much experience someone has and/or how much insight they have.

Walter:
Don, I agree. If you don't have logged dives in 5 digits, you shouldn't be calling yourself a fish.

doesn't a fish just have one really long dive.....

Walter:
Don, I agree. If you don't have logged dives in 5 digits, you shouldn't be calling yourself a fish.
That is the original intent.

For me it was the closest choice to I'm a mammal...:)

(Sorry...but I think it's funny...)

I agree with Lamont. Siince there's no validation, what's to stop everyone from posting 50 or 5000 dives. I read his posts without validating his response based on his logged dives and apply it accordingly.

sjspeck:
For me it was the closest choice to I'm a mammal...:)

(Sorry...but I think it's funny...)

I agree with Lamont. Siince there's no validation, what's to stop everyone from posting 50 or 5000 dives. I read his posts without validating his response based on his logged dives and apply it accordingly.
Lamont's not even certified ... it says so right there in his profile ... :eyebrow:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Lamont's not even certified ... it says so right there in his profile ... :eyebrow:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Then who's that in his profile picture??? :D

Back
Top Bottom