PLBs Can Save Your Life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes; I have a similar type canister which I use for my car keys. I watch the "o" ring and have not had a leak in 100s of dives.

And it's a 10th of the price.

Looks like a snug fit but the ResQLink+ 406 should fit in the Best Divers canister.

I look at the Best Divers 40m Waterproof Dry Canister dimension of 52mm (2.04") ID x 135 mm (5.31") H and compare it with ResQLink+ 406 dimension of 1.9"W x 4.5"H x 1.6"D, I don't think it's going to fit. The ResQLink+ 1.9"W x 1.6"D would have a diagonal dimension of 2.5" based on Pythagorean theorem. Therefore it needs 2.5" ID canister.

That's why I pick my home-made canister ID of 2.5" for the PLB1 (2.0"W x 3.0"H x 1.3"D), which is even smaller than ResQLink+. PLB1 2.0”W x 1.3”D would have diagonal dimension of 2.4”. I add 0.1” for the float pouch. The PLB1 with its float pouch on was fit tested into 2.5” ID tube and it fits snugly. :)

As to the 2nd link from scuba.com, the OMS Waterproof Canister, this product is no longer available. Why would one post a link to something is no longer available?

I look at the Best Divers 40m Waterproof Dry Canister dimension of 52mm (2.04") ID x 135 mm (5.31") H and compare it with ResQLink+ 406 dimension of 1.9"W x 4.5"H x 1.6"D, I don't think it's going to fit. The ResQLink+ 1.9"W x 1.6"D would have a diagonal dimension of 2.5" based on Pythagorean theorem. Therefore it needs 2.5" ID canister.

That's why I pick my home-made canister ID of 2.5" for the PLB1 (2.0"W x 3.0"H x 1.3"D), which is even smaller than ResQLink+.

As to the 2nd link from scuba.com, the OMS Waterproof Canister, this product is no longer available.
Damn Greeks and their fancy math! Thanks for figuring that out. :)

Reactions: Dan
Just re-read and article by Mario Vittone about the size of PLB and the ease of activating one, that may be worth a read Diminishing Returns – Why Smaller Isn’t Always Better

He also talks about being able to attach the PLB so the aerial is out of the water. I carry enough double sided Velcro in my PLB canister a small HDVSEATEK to put through the PLB and around my upper arm, but I will rethink this. My previous canister which warped and leakedwas that tight for space that nothing else could go in the case, not even a lanyard

That's why I pick my home-made canister ID of 2.5" for the PLB1 (2.0"W x 3.0"H x 1.3"D), which is even smaller than ResQLink+. PLB1 2.0”W x 1.3”D would have diagonal dimension of 2.4”. I add 0.1” for the float pouch. The PLB1 with its float pouch on was fit tested into 2.5” ID tube and it fits snugly. :)

As to the 2nd link from scuba.com, the OMS Waterproof Canister, this product is no longer available. Why would one post a link to something is no longer available?
The resqlink ends up at 2.25 diagonally due to the beveled edges. Slightly over but plenty of room in a 2.5" space.

The resqlink ends up at 2.25 diagonally due to the beveled edges. Slightly over but plenty of room in a 2.5" space.

That's good to know. If my home-made one fits well for PLB1, then I can ask the machine shop to make a slightly taller one, say 5" H inside.

I get confused when different numbers are used - model number & product number. I finally found the ACR comparison chart again, for the 350 & 375 models: https://www.sportys.com/source/pdf/ACRProductComparison.pdf So the model 375 is product 2880 and 2881? Big difference since the 2880 is only good if secured to a flotation pouch - sold separately! 400 is model 2921? 425 is 2922?

Now that the ACR 2921 & 2922 are out, I guess we'll start seeing sale prices on the 2880 & 2881. I just got my 2881 battery replaced with function services, so I'm good for another 5½ years. I like the infrared strobe and additional satellite system of the newest models, but if you're on the line on whether to get one or not - watch for sales on the recent models. You might want to check the manufacture date as battery life starts there: "Replacement due six (6) years from date of manufacture or five (5) years after beacon is placed into service, whichever is first, or after emergency use", and with all - test the battery before trips, even test the Gps function. I see the 2880 (not the model for divers or boaters really) for $230 and the 2881 for $260, new, free shipping, on Ebay. They might sell for less when asked if you point out that the new models are out now.

The ocean signal rescueme is quite a bit smaller but doesn't float. So I guess it depends on the size of your canister.
I believe it comes with a flotation pouch and lanyard that can be used to attach the PLB to the pouch so they don't get separated. I was really impressed at how small it is when I first found it, but I have to wonder if they have the range and life of the ACR models.

I'm sure someone may have commented on this question before but I can't find it. When traveling by air with your PLB TSA's page says check with airline, airlines page doesn't say anything, people on phone don't have a clue so do you guys just say it's a gps and roll on?
I have lost things out of my checked bag to TSA searches, in airports where I could not watch the agent search my checked luggage. No way would I put in checked luggage. Mine rides in my roll-on, the agents will not open the bag until I gather my shoes & stuff and join them, and I watch closely ready to explain as they inspect my roll-on - ready to caution them not to press any buttons on the PLB if they seem curious and start to open the camera bag I carry it in. They've never seemed interested in it.

PLB1 battery contains < 2g of Lithium, which is allowed to be put in checked bag. Just put it in your checked bag to avoid hassle with uninformed TSA.
And lose it to the uninformed agent inspecting it when you're not watching. Nope. Mine goes with me.

Ah ok my misunderstanding. So if I was doing say a shore dive the nautilus would serve a good purpose. If I was doing a boat dive I’d be more inclined to have the plb1?
It depends on whether anyone nearby is listening or not, and you can communicate well.

TSA found my light monkey canister very interesting. Trying to tell them how to open it, since they won't let you touch it, was complex.
You can offer to open it for them. My canister rides in my checked bag tho.

I’ve look at some otterboxes. They are waterproof some to 90 feet and more.
I’ve used them before for carrying keys and they do work.
90 feet? Not impressed.

A black one for $15 from NESS in hand and a yellow eBay one for $16 (delivered) on its way ...

I'll be removing and the switch and sealing the hole, cutting off the handle but leaving enough there to anchor a lanyard or ring there.
That's a lot of work to repurpose something that might work. My $100 HDVSEATEK canister works well, each to attach and remove from my BC, lightweight, etc. Just grease the o-ring with silicone grease and replace it every year or two. I could not find the o-ring locally, so he's sending me a couple. And it's buoyant, not enough to be a bother, but enough that it'll surface if I fumble it. Life so much other gear, it's black, and I hate that - but I added yellow tape to make it easier to find in my bag or on the surface.

I got my father in law on the prowl up in Detroit now looking for a machinist that can make us some depth rated containers
I'm also working on making my own acrylic canister with a local plastic machine shop.
Again, a lot of bother when there is a $100 solution ready.

My approach to PLB,s is very simple, I don’t use any. I have zero expectation of anyone coming to save me if things go south. To me not to be able to get back to my boat or ashore means certain death and it’s amazing how that attitude focuses the mind. All my diving is solo from shore or my boat, mostly from my boat.
Well, divers have been lost and SAR has spent a lot of time & money searching for people with such an attitude. There is a better way, but it looks like you'd rather argue - so ok, fine.

nothing else could go in the case, not even a lanyard
Fail. Got to have a lanyard, period!

@DandyDon So you have the HDVSEATEK and happy with it?

If so I will get one and be done with it.

Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom