PLBs Can Save Your Life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm also working on making my own acrylic canister with a local plastic machine shop. Here is a rough drawing for it.

Additional design thoughts: Large threads are expensive to machine so I wonder if a simpler closure could be found? Unscrewing a threaded cap is also harder to manage with small, wet, and gloved hands. Since a piston seal O-ring does not require compression by the latch/closure mechanism, very little force is required.

Something as simple as a pin that can be pulled might work. For that matter, so would duct tape. Two small thumb screws or wing nuts perhaps? It doesn't matter much if they are lost in an emergency deployment. Either way, you need some form of texture (knurling) on the cap so you can twist it out. One advantage of a threaded plug is unscrewing it can help open it against a pressure differential -- caused by temperature or altitude changes.

Providing a method for attaching a lanyard is worth considering. As mentioned before, Acrylic (Plexiglas) is far less impact resistant than Polycarbonate (lexan), but has the advantage of chemical bonding/welding. Consider matching a small lip/step to the bottom plug since you are probably turning (on a lathe) it anyway. That adds bonding surface area and aligns the cap to the tubing. The acrylic cement/solvent makes a pretty slippery joint until it sets up.

Reactions: Dan
It's cool dude, I totally get you. I don't wear my seatbelt because I've got antilock brakes and airbags.
I’m the one wearing the seat belt, the diver dependent on someone else on the surface when he gets there is the one taking a risk that I’m not willing to take.

Wouldn’t diving with string attached to you and the anchor line add potential entanglement problem underwater?

Wouldn’t diving with string attached to you and the anchor line add potential entanglement problem underwater?
Pay the line out nice and tidy, and don’t let slack come in it, reel it back the same way, I use yellow 2.5 mm dynema

Acrylic camera housings are injection moulded, they don't have stress risers like those that occur when you drill and tap holes into a facing structure like your design.
Even in the best of situations, there is a stress increase at the hole just due to its existence. The stress is at least 3x larger at the hold, and the drilling/tapping just makes it worse. Avoid the hole!

.... Unscrewing a threaded cap is also harder to manage with small, wet, and gloved hands....

I plan on roughing the side of the lid for a better grip. I tried unscrewing a 3” lid of a jar, it seems pretty easy. The lid is about the same dimension as that of McMurdo FastFind case.

......Consider matching a small lip/step to the bottom plug since you are probably turning (on a lathe) it anyway. That adds bonding surface area and aligns the cap to the tubing. The acrylic cement/solvent makes a pretty slippery joint until it sets up.

Good idea. Thanks! Done. :)

A9483977-9FAE-48BA-A3FE-2CCDC3FEC439.jpeg

Good idea. Thanks! Done. :)

You don't need to add thickness to the bottom for the step. Flat endbells are limited by deflection and that bonded lip will not change it.

We made a lot of Plexiglas underwater camera housings with half-inch thick flat plate in the 1960s. It was pretty common for 6" OD x 5.5" ID (1/4" wall) tubing with 1/2" plates to routinely handle 200' dives. The small book in this ad was all about making cylindrical acrylic housings:

upload_2019-4-6_12-24-22.png

This is a huge untapped market for the manufacturer of the PLBs. Imagine if this becomes standard equipment for all off or nearshore diving. Someone must know someone and alert them for the urgent need for a waterproof canister for their devices.

@MAKO Spearguns Can you manufacture a product for these PLBs?
Like this one on your site.'

Huge market for a small waterproof case carrying PLBs.

Interesting find. Link.
Yes its in Australia.
Also read the bottom "disclaimer."

OMS used to make a canister for us divers specifically for PLBs. Link.

Back
Top Bottom