PLBs Can Save Your Life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Funny. I just ordered a canister from DryFob last night under the assumption I'd be buying one of the other ACR PLBs. Then I saw this thing. I didn't realize the device was so large.
Hey Ryan. Thanks for that, shipped out your order yesterday. Yes this 8 “ unit is too big for the existing XL, we’re toying with protos but the jury is still out.

(BTW: as always, 90 day no questions asked return policy if you should change your mind just DM me or contact us through the website)

I'm just curious about the AIS, 406, and 121.5 all in one features and if anyone has tried them.
Those features all ping "help" very differently. What do you want to know?

Those features all ping "help" very differently. What do you want to know?
I recognize they all call for "help" differently. In most of the threads about these types of beacons, it seems the general consensus is some level of, "it wouldn't be bad to have both a PLB and a PAB--for various reasons." Wouldn't an "all-in-one" system like this seem to be the best approach?

Granted, as I mentioned I only made it through the first 65 pages of this thread before bouncing out. I see that conversations about this particular piece of equipment showed up about six or seven pages ago, so maybe this has already been discussed so, how about . . .

What would be the downside of having such an "all-in-one" device?

I recognize they all call for "help" differently. In most of the threads about these types of beacons, it seems the general consensus is some level of, "it wouldn't be bad to have both a PLB and a PAB--for various reasons." Wouldn't an "all-in-one" system like this seem to be the best approach?

Granted, as I mentioned I only made it through the first 65 pages of this thread before bouncing out. I see that conversations about this particular piece of equipment showed up about six or seven pages ago, so maybe this has already been discussed so, how about . . .

What would be the downside of having such an "all-in-one" device?
AIS relies on commercial vessels who have the capacity/ability to divert and pick you up. An ore carrier in the Great Lake isnt going to divert to pick you up. A whole suite of recreational vessels dont have AIS at all.

121.5 is only going to be detected by an aircraft in the air, again unless they are the actual Coast Guard they arent going to be able to help you, just relay your coordinates and there's "distress" there.

406 mhz is only going to be detected by a satellite and relayed to either the Coast Guard or whomever is responsible for rescues, e.g. the Mexican Navy.

Is there a downside? Other than overconfidence not really. But a VHF radio can potentially call your dive boat directly and skip the delays all these other approaches might entail

I know it seems that this thread is now focusing on containment for PLBs, but have any of you had experience with the PLB3 from OceanSignal? (Maybe this has been covered before. I read through the first 63 pages of this thread, but haven't been through the additional 65 pages.) I'm just curious about whether this helps with the debate over whether to carry both a PLB and a PAB since it seems to do both.
Thanks for posting PLB3. I have PLB (PLB1) and PAB (Nautilus MRG). This PLB3 combines both PLB1 and MRG into one device, but I would still need to find underwater case for it, like what I did with my PLB1. My PLB1 is 7 years old already, so I may replace it with this PLB3 and work with my local plastic machine shop to make special acrylic canister like I did with my PLB1 (see the picture, below).

IMG_1993.jpeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom