PLB's and EPIRB's for Truk and/or Bikini

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Heat Miser

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I'm planning some trips to Truk and Bikini this year and I was wondering if anybody had views about the merits of a PLB or EPIRB's that work in remote locations and if so what is the best sort of cannisters to store in whilst diving.

I have a Nautilus Lifeline Direct which I could take, however I found it a touch hit and miss on local charters here. It seems only Image Dive here in Perth has the AIS integrated plotter to pick up the signal.

I have a Garmin Descent watch as a back-up back-up computer so I quite like the idea of a Garmin InReach for integration with the watch, however I know nothing about them and the durability of the underwater case that goes with it,

Regards
G

Hi,

I'm planning some trips to Truk and Bikini this year and I was wondering if anybody had views about the merits of a PLB or EPIRB's that work in remote locations and if so what is the best sort of cannisters to store in whilst diving.

I have a Nautilus Lifeline Direct which I could take, however I found it a touch hit and miss on local charters here. It seems only Image Dive here in Perth has the AIS integrated plotter to pick up the signal.

I have a Garmin Descent watch as a back-up back-up computer so I quite like the idea of a Garmin InReach for integration with the watch, however I know nothing about them and the durability of the underwater case that goes with it,

Regards
G
I have not spent time in Chuuk. I did not feel the need for one in Bikini. All wrecks are moored, visibility is consistently high, the atoll is protected from current. Frankly, I'm not sure Kwaj would send a boat or a plane. They certainly don't fly birds out to pick up bent passengers.

Unrelated, I would strongly encourage arriving the flight before you need to get to each island. I'd wager at least one or more of your cruise's passenger checked bags will not make it as expected. We had 5 suitcases missing across 12 pax. On chuuk, you get it back in two days and it'll be dingied to your boat or hotel. On Ebeye, the boat isn't waiting two days to depart to Bikini for you to receive your luggage.

as the diving is within the lagoon, much less need for a plb in either. not like southern peleliu where your next stop could be indonesia. the nautilus can be used with the liveaboards that do truk/bikini, usefulness will depend if the LOB uses a tender to get you to the wreck or moors directly on it at which point you would just climb back on anyways. one of the charter LOBs that does bikini has a one person recompression chamber onboard. I think with the other one, be prepared for IWR if needed.

for tech depths, the custom divers can is pretty popular. light monkey will do a blind can, but that is sort of expensive

At Bikini, the conditions are very benign, very little chance of drifting away from your ship, and if you have a 6 foot smb to deploy you will be seen. Indies Trader's Indies Surveyor, the ship with the 48 inch twin lock chamber, will not be doing Bikini charters next season. The Master liveaboards do not have any kind of chamber.

Hey mate, I'd personally say it would be better to have a PLB than to not have one. Mine is an ACR ResQLink plus that I keep in a custom divers housing, and I'd definitely take it to Truk and Bikini. IMO, the Nautilus/AIS messaging has limited utility outside situations where the boat is explicitly set up to receive it.

There are a few things to consider; although the PLB will work in the sense of transmitting your coordinates to satellite and from there to your 'home' monitoring station - Canberra for us - from anywhere in the world, from there it is down to local rescue services, and I don't think you should completely rely on the chain of message being successfully passed to local service, local service having a boat/crew available, and then local service comes to find you, in all remote locations. IMO definitely better to have it than not, but you shouldn't count on it as a perfectly reliable safety net.

For really remote locations, a PLB should transmit for 24 hours, an EPIRB for 48 - but EPIRBs are much larger and bulkier.

At least with the US PLB registry, you can add notes to your "file". Before a trip, I put in notes with where I'll be, so if there is a signal, it will match as a probable real alert.

Speculation: Adding contact info for the operator might allow the emergency response center to direct your location info to the boat, since they are on-site and theoretically capable of quick and local response.

I have done Truk once, and working on doubling that number this year. Boats out of Blue Lagoon, don't have a radio, radar, nav, or just about anything else. They are boats, with outboards that are rope started, and a cooler with fresh water. That's all you get.

I've never heard of currents. Great vis. Easy mooring lines to follow up and down. I recall there always being land in sight. That is how the locals navigate, dead reckoning off visual landmarks.

Personally, there are other things I would use my luggage allowance on.

Working on adding Bikini to the list a year later. My understanding is it is very similar. If anything it might be nice on the long boat ride to get there. Couple hundred miles of open ocean crossing.

I can think of places like the Atlantic where there are currents, and no sight of land. Add some swell. Great lakes as well. OK, PLBs look like a great thing to dive with. Boat ride far off shore, chances to get lost.

In Chuuk there are very few currents. No need for PLB or similar. My experience is based on six trips there.

The Katsuragisan is subject to strong currents, and I've personally experienced strong current on the Nippo as well. The Oite is far enough from any kind of land that even in the absence of current a PLB might be a smart, if imperfect, backup.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom