PLBs and DSMBs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am a parent of 2 adult daughters - but that is irrelevant to the topic and a distraction to my point. I don't find folks being picked up ~ 1hr after they were separated from their boat as a particularly good example to convince folks to carry a PLB. I'd cite cases where folks drift for much longer or were never even found as much better support for the value of carrying a PLB. Stories like these are far more compelling support for carrying a PLB:

British diver rescued off the coast of Malaysia says his son died at sea | CNN

What prompted me to invest in a PLB was when the 7 Japanese divers were left at sea in inclement conditions by the boat captain who wanted to refuel.

An extreme example, and while I have yet to be on a dive like that, I definitely plan to and will want to have a PLB. I do take it on solo hikes as well in the mountains as it doesn't weigh much and I've gone to places where I never came across anyone else. Now of course if I fall and am knocked unconscious, it doesn't do me any good.

What prompted me to invest in a PLB was when the 7 Japanese divers were left at sea in inclement conditions by the boat captain who wanted to refuel.

An extreme example, and while I have yet to be on a dive like that, I definitely plan to and will want to have a PLB. I do take it on solo hikes as well in the mountains as it doesn't weigh much and I've gone to places where I never came across anyone else. Now of course if I fall and am knocked unconscious, it doesn't do me any good.
That was the event that led me to get one, too.

Last week a guy hiking in Rocky Mountain National Park got lost. He was able to call people and say he was lost, but he could not tell them exactly where. He died within 24 hours because of the nighttime temperatures.

You plan to be on a dive where you will be left at sea in inclement conditions by a boat captain who wants to refuel? You must be a glutton for punishment :wink:

Just spitballing - I’ve seen multiple dive containers for a PLB and as noted they are all pretty damn big.

The issue is that with pressure water could ingress into the device, correct? We’re not worried about the depth and pressure physically destroying the device.

Would it then be appropriate to vacuum seal the PLB? The bag is impervious to water, and you can tear it open if you need the PLB at the surface.
No, the pressure would harm the PLB. That's what the canister is for. I carried mine in a canister from Australia on trips for years that did leak a little if I didn't treat the O-ring with silicone grease well, but the water didn't hurt the PLB which is resistant to a few meters - yet not many. Then I clumsily lost the whole unit after the last day of diving on a trip, filed my trip insurance claim, got paid, and the Aussie model had been discontinued so bought the new ACR View model and a canister from Custom Divers, and it's great. I see that it's only £67.50 now and with the recent changes in GBP exchanges, that's only $72USD. Yeah, there is a shipping fee from the UK, but it's only around $20USD I think. Get some spare o-rings as you should replace them every year or two.

I see that there is a Wicked canister now, but it's way overpriced - $150 to $300 on various sites. I don't know why you thought they were too big as while they are large enough to hold any PLB, a foil blanket, and maybe more, they're not excessive like the brass one that used to be sold. I rented one of those one time, and hated it.

You plan to be on a dive where you will be left at sea in inclement conditions by a boat captain who wants to refuel? You must be a glutton for punishment :wink:
No, but I can expect such events to occur even if assured that they won't. I guess I should start with "are your fuel tanks full?" And if the answer is no, walk off.

Last week a guy hiking in Rocky Mountain National Park got lost. He was able to call people and say he was lost, but he could not tell them exactly where. He died within 24 hours because of the nighttime temperatures.
I hate those stories. They really drive home why more should bother carrying at 4.6 ounce PLB, but I don't understand why you don't bother carrying the one you have.

I wonder if he could have used What3Words to give his location

I wonder if he could have used What3Words to give his location

I hate those stories. They really drive home why more should bother carrying at 4.6 ounce PLB, but I don't understand why you don't bother carrying the one you have.

Or at a minimum the tools to survive a night in the woods on a mountian.
No, the pressure would harm the PLB. That's what the canister is for. I carried mine in a canister from Australia on trips for years that did leak a little if I didn't treat the O-ring with silicone grease well, but the water didn't hurt the PLB which is resistant to a few meters - yet not many. Then I clumsily lost the whole unit after the last day of diving on a trip, filed my trip insurance claim, got paid, and the Aussie model had been discontinued so bought the new ACR View model and a canister from Custom Divers, and it's great. I see that it's only £67.50 now and with the recent changes in GBP exchanges, that's only $72USD. Yeah, there is a shipping fee from the UK, but it's only around $20USD I think. Get some spare o-rings as you should replace them every year or two.

I see that there is a Wicked canister now, but it's way overpriced - $150 to $300 on various sites. I don't know why you thought they were too big as while they are large enough to hold any PLB, a foil blanket, and maybe more, they're not excessive like the brass one that used to be sold. I rented one of those one time, and hated it.

Thanks for the additional info. I wonder how deep is too deep for a Plb before a canister is needed. I’m not arguing that a canister isn’t needed for any dive whatsoever, but instead at what depth it becomes “mandatory” to protect your equipment. More so for the mental exercise it.

1 atm is roughly 14.5 psi, right? 2atm = 30psi, 3 is 44 psi.

3 atm gets you to 66 feet (salt water)

In 1992 a research study established the grip strength of a selection of college students has a mean pressure of 64psi.

Do you think you’d be able to crush your Plb in your hands? If not 66 feet seems possible.

I’ve seen the custom divers offering and have been considering purchasing it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom