PLBs and DSMBs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Searcaigh

Seahorse Wrangler
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

This thread has been split off from

Australian woman, two sons and DM "lost" in Fiji

I have to wonder about a diver with decades of experience who would take her kids to sea without a PLB, but I guess it's still common
In all my years of diving (30+) I've only met one diver who had a PLB with them, but didn't use it as we were not on a LOB.

It's a bit like how many divers I meet locally who have heard of ScubaBoard ..... very few!

In all my years of diving (30+) I've only met one diver who had a PLB with them, but didn't use it as we were not on a LOB.
I know. Bodies are frequently found in the western US of hikers who didn't bother and motorists who took a bad turn before breaking down. Oceans are bigger and currents tricky so one does not need to be on a liveaboard to be safer with one. They are not expensive nor difficult to carry so what is the problem? Why don't you have one?

I carry an InReach, that way I can tell the rescue services to bring Tequila as salt water is dehydrating, and yell at the dive op while I wait.
It's a bit like how many divers I meet locally who have heard of ScubaBoard ..... very few!
Near everyone I know locally knows of scubaboard but most don't use it.
I know. Bodies are frequently found in the western US of hikers who didn't bother and motorists who took a bad turn before breaking down. Oceans are bigger and currents tricky so one does not need to be on a liveaboard to be safer with one. They are not expensive nor difficult to carry so what is the problem? Why don't you have one?
Most likely many do not think they will need them. I carry my InReach into the mountains all the time and its nice to be able to send texts and location to anyone at any time.

Most likely many do not think they will need them.
I don't think that I'll ever need mine, but I never leave home without it, in my car console, my backpack, dive canister, whatever.

I have to wonder about a diver with decades of experience who would take her kids to sea without a PLB, but I guess it's still common. She is nice looking.

And I have to wonder about a dive op that would continue into a storm instead of sacrificing refunds.

Don't know about North America, but I've seldom seen a PLB or the likes "in the wild" either in Europe or Australia (both of which has some pretty wild and remote coasts tbqh). The old Nautilus Lifeline VHF / AIS combi was a great idea - such a shame they stopped making it. I do keep an eye out for one as I'm well aware of how craptastic my underwater navigation skills are.

Scuba-what???

Yep. 2 metre swell, according to the article. Can't imagine following the bubbles working too well in those conditions.
What are the chances of seeing an SMB in those conditions? Next to nil.
Last trip I was the only one with a PLB out of 16 divers, all had SMBs and spools, good sized ones [ required on all dive boat charters here ].
PLB are very expensive here, but an old dude like me, needs every advantage.

Why don't you have one?
I do have one.
Ditto.
20210717_091107.jpg

I don't think that I'll ever need mine, but I never leave home without it, in my car console, my backpack, dive canister, whatever.
I probably won't need mine to save me either, but it's like travel insurance.

But it's nice to be capable of sending satellite texts and location from anywhere too.

But it's nice to be capable of sending satellite texts and location from anywhere too.
If you don't mind the $15/month and one-third power of a real PLB, but yeah - a lot better than nothing like most carry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom