Playing with the UTD Z-system

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was interested in hearing the review on the wing's performance with its 20lb lift. Does anyone have a good sense of what is a safe minimum size for a wing for handling SM using steel 85's or slightly larger tanks?

It depends on a few factors. But I would start in the 35-40lb range.

I was interested in hearing the review on the wing's performance with its 20lb lift. Does anyone have a good sense of what is a safe minimum size for a wing for handling SM using steel 85's or slightly larger tanks?

As with any BC minimum required lift is a function of the weight of your gas and the buoyancy of your suit.

Tobin

Exactly, Don!

What intrigues me a little is how folks with wings like the Nomad stabilize themselves with stages on one side -- I would think that having the tabs holding the wing down along the edges would create somewhat of the same difficulty with parking gas to offset the additional weight. I didn't carry a stage with the Nomad, so I don't know how you do it or how well it works.

I do want to reiterate that the equipment I got to play with is, at this time, ONLY being represented as a recreational setup for monkey diving. MY personal interest in it was with its potential as a sidemount rig (sparked by AG's video blog about that) but in no way did Jeff represent it as being that. In fact, his plan had been only for us to use a single tank while playing with it.

Works fine, Nomad has the U shape also so just toss air into that side and you're set. I don't have any issues with two SM LP85's then up front two 80's left and a 40 right side.

Thanks, ctyhallcoolio. I hadn't thought about the wing shape contributing that way, but obviously, it does. The UTD wing is a single, roughly triangular bladder, so you couldn't really park gas in one side of it.

Rob,

Thanks. Assuming average diver I thought it would be around 40lbs or so. I got a response from Bogaerts on his new wing and he indicated that it has 40lbs lift...

Rob,

Thanks. Assuming average diver I thought it would be around 40lbs or so. I got a response from Bogaerts on his new wing and he indicated that it has 40lbs lift...

Did he give out any hints as to when it might be here? I'm going to need to get some flotation for my Razor before my class this spring, and I would rather support Steve, other things being equal, for the development he did on the Razor.

Unfortunately, the only timing was Spring...which could mean anytime between March to May assuming no production delays.

Did he give out any hints as to when it might be here? I'm going to need to get some flotation for my Razor before my class this spring, and I would rather support Steve, other things being equal, for the development he did on the Razor.

I have "good reason" to believe it will be sooner rather than later. :wink:

Tobin

Back
Top Bottom