Playa or Cancun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dimitrik

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm planning a family trip down to Mexico this July and would like to hear some feedback on diving in Cancun and Playa. I just got my OW cert in Cozumel earlier this month and had the time of my life. Santa Rosa Wall, Tormentos, Yucab, Paradise reef...were nothing short of spectacular and because of that trip all I can think about is where my next dive will be.

Unfortunately Coz is not an option for this trip so I was thinking Playa may be a good compromise for the divers and non divers within the group.

Is there anyone on the board that has gone diving in both locations? Are they pretty comparable or is Playa better? I know the ferry to Coz docks in Playa which could lead to another Coz dive :wink:. I have also read that Ivan caused quite a bit of beach to erode in Playa which would be a bummer for non divers within the group that will be spending most of thier time on the beach. I don't think that is the case for Cancun.

Any input would be greatly appreciated :05:

The beaches and the water in Cancun are fantastic.
The town, the restraunts, the excitement is far better in PDC.
Cancun is closer to the airport, which means more vacation time!
PDC offers the possibility of sneaking to Coz.
The best diving for Cancun IMHO is in Puerto Morelos, which is half way between Cancun and PDC.
There is decent diving out of PDC, including Cenotes. The OW diving will not compare to Coz. You will take the diveboat directly out of PDC. No driving unless going to Cenote.
Which property are you looking at? The best hotel for the best deal may be the deciding factor.

dimitrik:
Unfortunately Coz is not an option for this trip so I was thinking Playa may be a good compromise for the divers and non divers within the group.

Why, its only a $15 or so round trip ferry ride from PDC, or you can book a Coz reef dive with the operators in PDC and go on their boats. I found it cheaper going over on the ferry and going with a Coz charter, but not by much.

I've not yet dived Coz, but the non-diving wife and I are headed out Friday for a few days in PDC. We're booked for sightseeing, snorkeling cenotes, ATVing, and I'll be reef diving on Sunday. I'll post a report when we get back.

3dent:
I've not yet dived Coz, but the non-diving wife and I are headed out Friday for a few days in PDC. We're booked for sightseeing, snorkeling cenotes, ATVing, and I'll be reef diving on Sunday. I'll post a report when we get back.

I went ahead and booked PDC. It's nice knowing that Coz is just a short ferry ride away. The wife said I can dive as much as i'd like now that she has people to hang out with. :wink: (woo hoo). I do plan on diving a cenote as well as some reef dives in PDC so I will be very interested in hearing about your trip . Especially the diving and the beach conditions. Have fun!

Hi,
I and my wife dived PDC in November 2003. Coz was just a short ferry ride from there. I liked Coz diving way more than off PDC. There was such a strong current at couple of sites off PDC that our dive looked like a ride on european express train... :) Though it was fun by itself, the viz wasn't that great and we didn't see much. Cozumel, on another hand has, IMHO, much greater life diversity, more corals etc. But nothing can compare with diving in cenotes - absolutely thrilling! I'd suggest explore more different cenotes.

Enjoy your trip!

My son and I dove PDC last year. Cozumel is definately much better, but if you dive PDC I would recomend the Tortaqous dive (are however ya spell it). We were able to watch the sea turtles feeding and we saw a pretty good variety of fish. I haven't dove in Cancun yet to offer an opinion on that! Good luck!

Thanks for the input everyone. I booked 3 days of Diving in PDC through Dive Mike based on some positive reviews from this board. We will be doing both ocean and cenote dives. If time permits, we may head over to Coz as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom