Playa Del Carmen Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm thinking of heading to PDC in may to do some training with Protec and wanted to get some info on costs of living (ie meals, beers etc)

Also, do i fly into Cancun and take a taxi to PDC?

I've found a fairly inexpensive hotel (moms) next to Protec which seems like it's convenient to everything....

Any info would be appreciated...this will be my first time here and i want to make sure i don't make any foolish mistakes!

Thanks

You will probably fly into Cancun. Geographically Cozumel is closer and some airlines offer trips to Cozumel and a ferry over to PDC but I don't recommend this unless you plan to spend some time there. I think the Taxi would cost about 35 to 45 dollars but you might be able to arrange a shuttle down through your travel agency or maybe through the hotel. People here are fairly honest but it is hard to resist a sucker, ask prices.
I also recommend you bring something to snack on the way down. By the time the plan lands, you go through customs, and take the trip down several hours have passed and you'll be getting pretty hungry and irritable.
Steve

hurleyskis:
I'm thinking of heading to PDC in may to do some training with Protec and wanted to get some info on costs of living (ie meals, beers etc)

Also, do i fly into Cancun and take a taxi to PDC?

I've found a fairly inexpensive hotel (moms) next to Protec which seems like it's convenient to everything....

Any info would be appreciated...this will be my first time here and i want to make sure i don't make any foolish mistakes!

Thanks

We spent 10 days in PDC in December and then spent another 10 in Cozumel. Dive shops in PDC told me that they take you over to Coz for diving, or to the cenotes so I waited and did all my diving with Dive with Martin when I got to Coz. PDC is a great place and Xcaret, just 6 miles south, is fabulous for a day trip. Has a wonderful show at night included in the $50 price tag, but plan to start early as you will not be able to see it all in one day. It is well worth the price and the time to see it :wink: .

Easiest thing is to fly to Cancun and take a bus to PDC. When you get to Cancun just walk out the front of the airport terminal building and turn right and go all the way to the far end of the terminal. The parking lot down there has busses that go every hour to PDC for about $7. They are comfortable (not the standard Mexican "chicken buses") and drop you off right in the center of PDC at the bus terminal. Doesn't take much longer than a taxi and cost about 1/3 as much for two folks.

If you fly into Cozumel you have to take a taxi to the port then the ferry runs almost every hour to PDC. Ferry is similar price as bus from Cancun to PDC ($9 it think) and takes about same time, but if the weather is bad the aroma from spilled barf bags kinda takes some of the fun out of it. I have made that ferry ride a number of times and it is usually pleasant, but wx sometimes unpredictable. If the price was similar, I would recommend flying into Cancun to go to PDC. You can always take the ferry over to Coz one day to visit when you are not having to lug your bags if you desire.

There are lots of nice restaurants and bars in PDC to meet most any budget. To find the more reasonably priced ones, of course, you just walk several blocks away from the beach. We enjoyed 5 peso tacos as well as 250 peso dinners at various places. All were good. The locals where you stay can probably direct you to most anything you want in food and beverage options, budget or upscale.

If you are a smoker, watch out for the cigar salesmen. Most often a Havana is not a Havana and the guys rolling them while you wait probably offer a better product at a lower price.

I am going to Roatan in May (West End) Got a favorite hotel there? We are considering several (with a/c) in Half Moon Bay area but haven't fully decided yet.

I hope to go to PDC eventually. All these Mexico destinations are on sale, almost to day of travel.

Roatan is about $550 R/T on LAN. requires like a 3 week advance purchase

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom