Playa-Cozumel Ferry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

georoc01

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
FYI, yesterday I flew into Cancun and got down to Playa about 3:30pm. The next ferry wasn't until 5:00pm. I was told that as business has been slow, they have gone to a schedule of one every 2 hours.

If you catch it at the wrong time, It can really extend out the travel time.

I heard they started running a reduced schedule in mid-Sept and it's supposed to go back tot he regular (hourly) Dec 15th. The low season has been really slow this year. But they did raise the price to 140 pesos each way.

Welcome to Mexico. Service is reduced and prices are increased. They seem to be taking their cue from the US airlines. Anyway, be sure to check the schedule for your return trip if you have to be at the Cancun airport on time.

The reality is that this has been an extremely slow off season. I was there in October and even with less than half the boats running, they were all less than half as full as usual. Hotel bookings are at an all time low, and the restaurants almost empty.

If it's an indication of things to come, anyone who goes to Cozumel this winter is likely to be treated like a prince. And with the Peso hovering between 12 and 13 to the dollar as compared with 10 to 1 last winter, food and other land expenses will be a bargain.

Aren't there two ferry companies running from PDC to Coz? They both cut back and increase rates? I wonder if the rates to locals went up, or just visitors?

FYI, yesterday I flew into Cancun and got down to Playa about 3:30pm. The next ferry wasn't until 5:00pm. I was told that as business has been slow, they have gone to a schedule of one every 2 hours.

Oh darn, missed the ferry. Four words: "Senor Frogs and Margaritas!"

Oh darn, missed the ferry. Four words: "Senor Frogs and Margaritas!"
That's usually how our Cozumel vacations start. Fly into CUN, head down to Playa... buy tickets, an hr til the next boat but the line is already started... I stand in line and hubby goes to get us "to-go" margaritas. :D Last time he asked for plastic glasses and wasn't clear so we ended up with a foot long each. Yikes! Sure made the wait and the ride go fast... :cool2:

Aren't there two ferry companies running from PDC to Coz? They both cut back and increase rates? I wonder if the rates to locals went up, or just visitors?
Local prices went up the same percentage. Still two companies - Mexico Waterjets and Ultramar, but still just one boat every 2hrs or so... a few times during the day it's longer wait.

Anyway, be sure to check the schedule for your return trip if you have to be at the Cancun airport on time.
We always do this. The following day's schedule is posted at the ticket windows at the pier. We like to go by after dinner on our last night and check the times. Then we still plan on extra time in case the schedule doesn't run as posted if it's a really slow time.

If it's an indication of things to come, anyone who goes to Cozumel this winter is likely to be treated like a prince. And with the Peso hovering between 12 and 13 to the dollar as compared with 10 to 1 last winter, food and other land expenses will be a bargain.
Cozumel and the Riviera Maya should do better then most of the Caribbean this winter. With the US economy the way it is and many people having to cut their vacation budgets, I think some who may otherwise go elsewhere will be choosing Quintana Roo. Easy to get to. Good rate for USD to pesos and compared to most of the Caribbean, accommodations, activities, meals, etc., are pretty reasonable.

I got a great deal on a condo for 12 days at the beginning of Dec. They gave us the nightly rate based on a weekly stay instead of the week + higher nightly rate for the extra days (since it's not 2 full weeks). And in addition the option of a cash discount. The pricing and the discount for paying cash will add up to cover a few days of our diving. For the same trip, we're saving 25% on a condo rental on the mainland for a week. They also discounted our diving by 15% since we use the shop owned by the condo owners. We always exchange our USD for pesos and our dollar will be getting more pesos too this year.

Same thing happened to me in mid Oct. You would think that with competing companies they would alter the schedule so that at least there would be hourly service. I could never understand both companies running same schedule and leaving the same hours without service. This has been going on since Ultra-Mar started.

That's usually how our Cozumel vacations start. Fly into CUN, head down to Playa... buy tickets, an hr til the next boat but the line is already started... I stand in line and hubby goes to get us "to-go" margaritas. :D Last time he asked for plastic glasses and wasn't clear so we ended up with a foot long each. Yikes! Sure made the wait and the ride go fast... :cool2:
If you skip Senor' Frogs and walk to the next building on the same side of the street. It's a little hole in the wall place....literally. The Margaritas are half the price with twice the alcohol....:eyebrow:

Got bathrooms...?
Same thing happened to me in mid Oct. You would think that with competing companies they would alter the schedule so that at least there would be hourly service. I could never understand both companies running same schedule and leaving the same hours without service. This has been going on since Ultra-Mar started.
Makes the tourist feel appreciated - not!
If you skip Senor' Frogs and walk to the next building on the same side of the street. It's a little hole in the wall place....literally. The Margaritas are half the price with twice the alcohol....:eyebrow:
Good to have a plan...! :eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom