Plastic tub / rolling duffel help needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mstevens

Toadfish. Splendid is implied but not guaranteed.
Reaction score
We've been stuffing all our gear (except the carry-on stuff such as regs, masks, and puters) into our Tumi rolling luggage for trips along with all our "regular" stuff such as clothing. This is getting harder to do now with 3 divers. Everything has to fit "just so," and if we buy anything on a trip we're screwed.

I've seen discussions of using a Rubbermaid or similar rectangular plastic tub inside a rolling duffel for dive gear. The more I think about it, the more sense it makes. It's waterproof, cheap (ish), and not readily identifiable in the airport as holding expensive toys.

The tub's not a problem - they're everywhere, in a range of sizes. I might have to get a few to figure out what holds our gear (especially fins) the best. My problem has been finding the rolling duffel. I've checked Wal-Mart, Sam's, and Costco. They all seemed to have tons of rolling duffels a couple of years ago, but none (that I can find) right now. I'm also concerned about finding one that'll hold a big ol' plastic tub and has decent wheels and handle (spoiled by the Tumi, I guess).

Cost isn't really the main issue. I've considered a huge Pelican or Otter box, too, but this is an area where their rigidity and weight would be strikes against them. My BC. wetsuit, and fins just need protection from sharp stuff, not crushing or whatever. I've also considered specialty dive bags from the various great manufacturers out there, but in the end don't want anything identifiable as holding dive gear. I mostly want something into which I can just toss wet gear for the trip home. This would include BC's, fins, wetsuits & boots/hoods/gloves, boat bags, lights, and other stuff that's hard to carry-on and not particularly fragile. I imagine there's no way to fit 3 peoples gear in one, but perhaps two setups would hold it all.

Any suggestions from divers in the know would be welcome. What specific tubs work for you? Where did you get your rolling duffel? (Specific manufacturer and model on duffels would be great, too.) Is there a better solution?

mstevens:
This is getting harder to do now with 3 divers.

Expanding the diving party means you need more rolling duffels.

and not readily identifiable in the airport as holding expensive toys.

Igloo coolers, 148 quart.

The tub's not a problem - they're everywhere, in a range of sizes. I might have to get a few to figure out what holds our gear (especially fins) the best.

Walmart automotive department. They sell a Contico product (or similar) that can take a lot of gear through the war and back. Your problem might be a gross weight excess. They can hold a lot

My problem has been finding the rolling duffel. I've checked Wal-Mart, Sam's, and Costco. They all seemed to have tons of rolling duffels a couple of years ago,

there is only one, the rest are copies. See: http://www.highsierrasport.com/ItemDetail.jsp?itemNum=AT202 Everyone thinks it's the one at Costco... it aint. These are the biggest available. I have done the looking.

but none (that I can find) right now. I'm also concerned about finding one that'll hold a big ol' plastic tub and has decent wheels and handle

If you are looking to wrap a "tub" in a duffel, either your idea of a "tub" is smaller than mine, or you just aren't going to find one. We have some duffles affectionately known as "the body bags", but they are small compared to any tub.

but in the end don't want anything identifiable as holding dive gear.

If you are afraid of airports, I would say, relax. Not much of anything gets stolen out of them, and why would anyone want anything as worthless as dive used dive gear? There is no market for it once you walk out of the shop. Thieves know this.

I mostly want something into which I can just toss wet gear for the trip home.

Check out those big boxes at Walmart Automotive

RoatanMan:
Expanding the diving party means you need more rolling duffel.

I figured I'd probably end up getting one per diver.

RoatanMan:
Igloo coolers, 148 quart.

Oooh. I never thought about coolers...

RoatanMan:
Walmart automotive department. They sell a Contico product (or similar) that can take a lot of gear through the war and back. Your problem might be a gross weight excess. They can hold a lot

I'll check there. My goal is to find something that just fits the gear without a lot of extra space. That induces a discipline against jamming more stuff in just because it'll fit.

RoatanMan:
there is only one, the rest are copies. See: http://www.highsierrasport.com/ItemDetail.jsp?itemNum=AT202 Everyone thinks it's the one at Costco... it aint. These are the biggest available. I have done the looking.

Yep. After posting I found some of your earlier posts about these behemoths.

RoatanMan:
If you are looking to wrap a "tub" in a duffel, either your idea of a "tub" is smaller than mine, or you just aren't going to find one. We have some duffles affectionately known as "the body bags", but they are small compared to any tub.

Hmm. Maybe we are using different terms. I could've sworn that when I was thinking about dive bags about a year ago there were some threads here about putting Rubbermaid plastic boxes with snap-on lids inside rolling duffels. The idea was to combine a degree of hard-sidedness with a degree of rollingness with a low quotient of expensiveness.

RoatanMan:
Check out those big boxes at Walmart Automotive

Right. However, I don't want to tote such boxes around by hand, especially since I'll have another check-through and a carry-on. Are these the sort of boxes that would fit inside a rolling duffel or suitcase?

Yep, I wrote often about that when I was using my vest style bcd I would put it in a plastic container and then put the container in a non descript suit case with zippers. Nothing that yelled scuba gear and yet some protection from the plastic,

Since I have switched to a bp and wing that problem is gone as I put my bp and wing in a regulation carry on bag with my masks, camera, regs and computers. All go on board with me. The only dive gear in suitcase now is suits, fins and ash and trash gear.

mstevens:
Hmm. Maybe we are using different terms. I could've sworn that when I was thinking about dive bags about a year ago there were some threads here about putting Rubbermaid plastic boxes with snap-on lids inside rolling duffels. The idea was to combine a degree of hard-sidedness with a degree of rollingness with a low quotient of expensiveness.

The bottom compartments of the High Sierras are fairly bulletproof.

When you want to pad something up, we put it inside smaller cardboard boxes- then into the duffel- kind of like United Airlines does with freight, it's all pod containerized before the loading process. The cardboard and tight-pack adds a great degree of survivability to the endeavor.

Any duffel can be toughened up by lining it with corrugated plastic- the kind they use for election roadside posters. It's free after 6pm on the night of any election. Cut it into strips and size to fit. You're just looking for a lightweight cushion between the outside, nasty world and your dainty rubber suit & BCD. It works. It's Cheap. It weighs nothing.

Right. However, I don't want to tote such boxes around by hand, especially since I'll have another check-through and a carry-on. Are these the sort of boxes that would fit inside a rolling duffel or suitcase?

Not going to happen. If moving them is an issue, the best I could suggest is mounting 1.5" fixed metal casters to one end. (non swivel: http://www.globalindustrial.com/gcs...tegoryKey=1598&REQ_SUB_CAT=Light+Duty+Casters) Make your own rolling case. I have one monster like this and it works well. It does often weigh in as overweight, but if you're gonna play with the big boys, you gotta be ready to pay with the big boys, as well.

Just make sure it's not too big for the airplane you're stuffing yourself into. That happened to me somewhere NE of Australia. :doh:

We got'er done. That's what we do. We move stuff.

I've used a folding hand truck for years to schlep all kinds of gear. Duffel bags, Boxes, shipping containers. They fold up nice and compact. Pay the extra $10-20 and get the one with the deep platform.

http://www.handtrucksrus.com/crashdetail.aspx?id=362

I travel with my gear on a regular basis. I put it in an Akona rolling backpack. I have never lost or had anything stolen from it when travelling. Unless people know that Akona refers to anything expensive in the bag or that it is carrying dive gear, just think it is a regular bag. But I can slip a cover over the bag and now it is a plain black bag. Regardless the Akona bag is black with a small orange frog on it.

Back
Top Bottom